Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1589670  by MedicSutton

IMO...DO IT ONCE...DO IT RIGHT. By the time they finish piecing things together they'll be right back at square one..
 #1589682  by FrontFrank

I have some questions about a conrail train that would go through Lakewood New Jersey about 20 years ago. I don't know much about trains and we moved out of Lakewood over 10 years ago. Now that I reside on the other side of the country I don'tknow if the train still goes through there anymore. I still talk with my neighbor from when we lived in Lakewood and he tells me there in no more conrail.
Is this the plce to ask questions about the train or am I in the wrong place? If I am in the wrong place, can someone direct me to where I can inquire about the Lakewood train from early 2000s? Thank you.

Frank
 #1589689  by NY&LB

Frank, the train to Lakewood still runs once a week, usually on Thursdays. See thread CR on the Southern Secondary for more information that you can imagine!
The train is operated by ConRail Shared Assets and motive power consists of CSX or NS locomotives. The customer in Lakewood is Woodhaven Lumber.
 #1589719  by Bracdude181

@NY&LB NS engines don’t come down anymore, most of them don’t have the PTC system required to go down the Coast Line.

@FrontFrank The Southern Secondary is still in service between Lakewood and Red Bank. SA31 is the train that works the line nowadays. They typically get into Lakewood on Thursday between 8:30 PM and 9:30 PM. Through Farmingdale between 5:30 and 8:30 PM, and Tinton Falls between 4:00 and 5:30 PM.

Return runs are at complete random.
 #1589791  by GSC

I don't take a lot of pics, but the last couple I did take earlier last year on the Southern featured a CSX and a NS engine. Is this another example of history on the Southern? Will we be trying to convince someone in ten years there actually were NS engines running down here?
 #1589794  by RailsEast

Quite possibly, Garry. NS units lack the PTC system that NJT uses so NS units can't lead on the Coast Line, and that's why we don't/won't see NS units on the Southern. You can still catch them from time to time on the other lines out of Browns Yard, but since the Southern needs NJT, there's only CSX power here for the foreseeable future. Fwiw, my last shot of an NS unit was 12/10/2020; not sure if anyone has a more recent photo, but it probably wouldn't have been too much later than mine.

http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=5452215

Chris
 #1589869  by GSC

October 8, 2020. Same engine as in your shot, Chris. This time leading.

Asbury Road, Howell Twp.

#1589890  by LVRR

NS 5285 leading SA31 through South Amboy on Oct. 4, 2018. I have several videos of NS locomotives leading SA31, but they are apparantly too large to upload.

Last edited by LVRR on Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1589900  by R&DB

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:54 pm Line and Locked Normal 3:53 PM

Power and car count unknown.
I've noticed over the years that the time between permision and locked in minutes usually roughly equals the number of cars. So today will probably be around ten.