Railroad Forums 

• Station Developments

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1587635  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:18 pm
STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:42 pm Bloomberg: D.C.’s Union Station Faces Foreclosure on $330 Million Mortgage
Run an empty mall, you mean.
Near-empty... but definitely in danger. Aug 25, 2021 had MARC running full schedule but with 20% of pre-pandemic load. VRE is at the same level. I can see a McD's, a Starbucks, maybe a Dunkin', a Hudson and the Walgreens staying open... but I don't know about the load on Amtrak trains starting/ending in DC to really say if it's worth keeping it up.
 #1587641  by STrRedWolf

Separate post for this one. VirtualRailfan caught video of a box truck taking out a crossing gate, pole, arm, and all. The incident happened on the 21st and the grabbag video has it starting at 14m34s in.

They were going through the fusee's that day!
 #1587743  by TheOneKEA

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:44 pm
scratchyX1 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:18 pm
STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:42 pm Bloomberg: D.C.’s Union Station Faces Foreclosure on $330 Million Mortgage
Run an empty mall, you mean.
Near-empty... but definitely in danger. Aug 25, 2021 had MARC running full schedule but with 20% of pre-pandemic load. VRE is at the same level. I can see a McD's, a Starbucks, maybe a Dunkin', a Hudson and the Walgreens staying open... but I don't know about the load on Amtrak trains starting/ending in DC to really say if it's worth keeping it up.
I posted a video earlier this year that chronicled the downfall of Union Station’s retail operations. I feel that this foreclosure is the logical outcome of the circumstances shown in the video, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see at least half of the retail spaces be completely removed and either not replaced, or converted into more waiting areas.
 #1587772  by STrRedWolf

TheOneKEA wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:15 am I posted a video earlier this year that chronicled the downfall of Union Station’s retail operations. I feel that this foreclosure is the logical outcome of the circumstances shown in the video, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see at least half of the retail spaces be completely removed and either not replaced, or converted into more waiting areas.
I'd have to head down there to see the current state now (maybe this Sunday), but from memory, I can see them condensing the upper level of the mall down and sealing that completely off.
 #1587782  by dgvrengineer

They should keep the upper level as a mall and make the lower level passenger waiting area. The last time I was in the basement food court there were only 4 places open. Walgreens, Chick-fil-a, Wendys and Duncan Donuts. The place was like a strange ghost town in the middle of a city.
 #1587786  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:21 pm
TheOneKEA wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:15 am I posted a video earlier this year that chronicled the downfall of Union Station’s retail operations. I feel that this foreclosure is the logical outcome of the circumstances shown in the video, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see at least half of the retail spaces be completely removed and either not replaced, or converted into more waiting areas.
I'd have to head down there to see the current state now (maybe this Sunday), but from memory, I can see them condensing the upper level of the mall down and sealing that completely off.
Use it to recreate silver streak?
 #1587803  by west point

At one time one of the options for expansion had all the food court and environs be converted to additional tracks and platform to have a real lower level under tracks 5 -14 (?). that would have also called for another 1st avenue 2 track tunnel to go to near Va avenue. Believe that option is off the table but leave it to others to enlighten us?
 #1587804  by RRspatch

west point wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:18 am At one time one of the options for expansion had all the food court and environs be converted to additional tracks and platform to have a real lower level under tracks 5 -14 (?). that would have also called for another 1st avenue 2 track tunnel to go to near Va avenue. Believe that option is off the table but leave it to others to enlighten us?
In this day and age I can't see anyone being permitted to dig a tunnel along side the existing one what with the Capital building, the Supreme Court, the Library of Congress and both the Senate and House office buildings nearby. I could see the new lower level tracks feeding into the existing 1st street tunnel via a new interlocking but that would require digging up Columbus Circle, part of Lower Senate Park and under pinning half of the station. None of that would be easy or cheap.
 #1587840  by STrRedWolf

west point wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:18 am At one time one of the options for expansion had all the food court and environs be converted to additional tracks and platform to have a real lower level under tracks 5 -14 (?). that would have also called for another 1st avenue 2 track tunnel to go to near Va avenue. Believe that option is off the table but leave it to others to enlighten us?
I remember that. Conceptual diagrams but it basically had a second set of tracks under the primary ones. I don't know where they would pop out and join the Penn Line, though... and how the vendors between the two tracks would really work. It was a weird thing.
 #1587986  by Station Aficionado

To switch to a smaller scale, it seems like the state of Missouri is making plans to make plans to repair the Union Hotel building in Jefferson City, which served as the Amtrak station (believe they're now using a trailer:

https://www.newstribune.com/news/2021/d ... er-amtrak/
While the estimated time of arrival could be a couple years away, efforts to repair the former Amtrak station at Jefferson City is chugging along.
A temporary Amtrak station was set up in the parking lot of the Jefferson Landing State Historic until repairs to the Union Hotel could be made.

Recently, officials with the Office of Administration (OA) reported another study had been done on the hotel's structure to determine what repairs would be needed and what it would cost.

OA Spokesman Chris Moreland said they are currently working with the Office of Budget and Planning to get the project undertaken in Fiscal Year 2023.

"The intent is for the Amtrak station to move back in the Union Hotel," Moreland said. "If funds are appropriated for FY23, the project would go into design in July.

"The project is estimated to be around $9 million as it would be a very extensive restoration project," he said. "The completion of the overall project would be approximately two years from when it goes into design."

Moreland said the proposed money is in House Bill 18, which is an appropriation bill.
 #1587989  by Anthony

Station Aficionado wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:49 pm To switch to a smaller scale, it seems like the state of Missouri is making plans to make plans to repair the Union Hotel building in Jefferson City, which served as the Amtrak station (believe they're now using a trailer:

https://www.newstribune.com/news/2021/d ... er-amtrak/
While the estimated time of arrival could be a couple years away, efforts to repair the former Amtrak station at Jefferson City is chugging along.
A temporary Amtrak station was set up in the parking lot of the Jefferson Landing State Historic until repairs to the Union Hotel could be made.

Recently, officials with the Office of Administration (OA) reported another study had been done on the hotel's structure to determine what repairs would be needed and what it would cost.

OA Spokesman Chris Moreland said they are currently working with the Office of Budget and Planning to get the project undertaken in Fiscal Year 2023.

"The intent is for the Amtrak station to move back in the Union Hotel," Moreland said. "If funds are appropriated for FY23, the project would go into design in July.

"The project is estimated to be around $9 million as it would be a very extensive restoration project," he said. "The completion of the overall project would be approximately two years from when it goes into design."

Moreland said the proposed money is in House Bill 18, which is an appropriation bill.
If they have the money to fix up the Jefferson City train station, why couldn't they find the money to keep the second frequency of the train serving that station running?
 #1588010  by ExCon90

I'm not sure that Amtrak is planning to participate in funding the project -- just willing to use the building if state or local funding can be found. (As it should be -- I'd say that the historical importance of the building is far more significant to Jefferson City than to Amtrak.)
 #1588017  by Station Aficionado

Well, this finally happened:

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... e-station/
The City of Fort Madison celebrated completion of an almost 14-year effort to restore its downtown passenger station on Friday, Dec. 10, with Southwest Chief service to and from the station to begin this Wednesday, Dec. 15.
Once upon a time, there were several Amtrak stations stuck away in freight yards--Norfolk (Lambert's Point), Greensboro, Ft. Madison ... are there any left now? Only Charlotte immediately comes to mid.

Fun fact: the Ft. Madison CBQ station still stands, right across the track from the ATSF/Amtrak station.
 #1588021  by Roadgeek Adam

Station Aficionado wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:02 am Well, this finally happened:

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... e-station/
The City of Fort Madison celebrated completion of an almost 14-year effort to restore its downtown passenger station on Friday, Dec. 10, with Southwest Chief service to and from the station to begin this Wednesday, Dec. 15.
Once upon a time, there were several Amtrak stations stuck away in freight yards--Norfolk (Lambert's Point), Greensboro, Ft. Madison ... are there any left now? Only Charlotte immediately comes to mid.

Fun fact: the Ft. Madison CBQ station still stands, right across the track from the ATSF/Amtrak station.
Newport News VA, Topeka KS come to mind. Creston IA is pretty close, but is not.

Also West Quincy was one as well.
 #1588023  by njtmnrrbuff

Charlotte’s Station won’t be across from the freight yard forever. In a few more years, it’s supposed to move to the Uptown Business District.