Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak HHP-8 Discussion: Use, Reliability, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1575230  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:57 am
scratchyX1 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:24 am I saw a Hippo at riverside , tuesday, passing from the tunnel.
There was also an AEM7, too.
There's probably one or two Hippo's in the shop building being rebuilt. Ether way, not surprising. I think I remember the AEM-7's being stored there for the time being.
I also saw a werewolf, walking with The Queen.
 #1575283  by ApproachMedium

Im surprised those AEM-7s havent been scrapped yet. I dont know what their plans are. The horns have all been stolen now that they arent in ivy city anymore

The article posted about the new tunnel and the removal of diesel emissions from the tunnel per city complaints leads me to believe MARC is going to head in some kind of electric only direction eventually. The electric bill must be getting better to pay than the diesel bill. On top of that the excessive cost to repair the Tier 4 engines
 #1575443  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:56 am I also saw a werewolf, walking with The Queen.
Were they doing the Werewolves of London?
ApproachMedium wrote:Im surprised those AEM-7s havent been scrapped yet. I dont know what their plans are. The horns have all been stolen now that they arent in ivy city anymore

The article posted about the new tunnel and the removal of diesel emissions from the tunnel per city complaints leads me to believe MARC is going to head in some kind of electric only direction eventually. The electric bill must be getting better to pay than the diesel bill. On top of that the excessive cost to repair the Tier 4 engines
I'm more thinking they're getting parted out, or they're waiting for a buyer for the scrap yard. Ether way, the Riverside yard has space, and Ivy City is more than full. Not surprising.
R36 Combine Coach wrote:In addition to the HHP8s, Philip Morris also owns several Acela trainsets.
And when they are retired, they'll sit idle for... judicial/legal reasons.
 #1576240  by PRSL2005

June 29, 2021
Settlement Ends $93M Suit Over Amtrak Train Lease
A New York federal judge agreed Tuesday to dismiss a suit after a settlement was reached to end claims brought by Philip Morris Capital Corp. and others accusing Amtrak of owing nearly $93 million for allegedly breaching a $250 million contract for a fleet of trains.
 #1586412  by Pensyfan19

BREAKING NEWS: HHP8 691 is currently in DC to be utilized as a test train for HHP8 cab car use (without its pantographs) for alleged service on the Vermonter and Ethen Allen. Test runs are currently within the Union Station, but will likely go to Philly sometime soon. Better late than never to put these engines to good use I suppose...
 #1586430  by Pensyfan19

UPDATE: I have been informed that ANOTHER HHP8 has been spotted earlier today on the Springfield to New Haven Shuttle. I'm not sure which number yet. Details to follow.
 #1586434  by Shortline614

In the most recent issue of Trains Magazine, there was an article titled "What you should see in 2022." The MARC HHP-8s specifically was #8. If you recall, MARC stored them during the pandemic, leaving many to believe they would be gone forever. Luckily for railfans, MARC pulled them out of storage last summer, and now Amtrak is converting them into cab cars. I've seen two pictures of them on discord in what is clearly Union Station. Truly a bizarre but welcome sight!

I was young in the 2000s when they were in service and they were the first locomotive I really remember. I would always drive them up and down the NEC route in the Microsoft train simulator. You could imagine how happy I was when I finally rode behind one in 2009. Happiest little kid in the world!

The HHP-8s were nicknamed "Hippos." Now we need to come up with a good nickname for their cab car variants! :wink:
 #1586436  by rohr turbo

Does anyone know whether they will be converted to carry baggage, like the F40 cabbage cars? And if so, will they need some ballast weight to compensate for removal of transformers, etc. I heard the F40s had to have a slab of concrete added to make them ride properly after the prime mover, etc were removed. Always seemed ridiculous to tow around dead weight.
 #1586454  by scratchyX1

Shortline614 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:06 pm In the most recent issue of Trains Magazine, there was an article titled "What you should see in 2022." The MARC HHP-8s specifically was #8. If you recall, MARC stored them during the pandemic, leaving many to believe they would be gone forever. Luckily for railfans, MARC pulled them out of storage last summer, and now Amtrak is converting them into cab cars. I've seen two pictures of them on discord in what is clearly Union Station. Truly a bizarre but welcome sight!

I was young in the 2000s when they were in service and they were the first locomotive I really remember. I would always drive them up and down the NEC route in the Microsoft train simulator. You could imagine how happy I was when I finally rode behind one in 2009. Happiest little kid in the world!

The HHP-8s were nicknamed "Hippos." Now we need to come up with a good nickname for their cab car variants! :wink:
Wait, is it the MARC owned hippos (which were rebuilt, and I think had new software installed)that are being converted, or amtrak convoluted leased units?