Railroad Forums 

• MBTA uniform

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#179041  by cden4

For halloween this year I would like to be an MBTA subway operator/driver (I'm not sure of the official term). From what I understand, they wear blue jacket with T's on the shoulders. Right? Are the pants blue, or is that just up to the individual?

Is there anywhere I can get a T jacket, or a T patch to put on a jacket that I have?

Does anyone have a photo of the uniform or someone wearing one?

Thanks in advance.

#179080  by 7 to Main St

I should have a photo or 2 of the T Operator from the Blue Line train I was in. I'll upload them as soon as I find the photos.

EDIT: Here are the 2 photos. I had to edit the quality of one due to size. The other is from a short video I took.

#179144  by Robert Paniagua

Nice shots, now I could do that on the 01800s as well, even if the window is occupied with commercial posters, I just do my seat trick.

And I plan on sneaking a shot like yours from an 01700!! How do I do it? Well, I just get up and sit on top of the seat-back (the back part), hang on to the ceiling grab bar with one hand, and use the other hand to take the still/video shot.

Glad you didn't use flash, my camera has the feature that disables the flash so that I can use on the T.

#248973  by StevieC48

Iknow its a late response but bus drivers/green line opertors have the T on the Left and the Rapit transit on the right

#248992  by CSX Conductor

Wow Stevie, I never noticed the difference. Is that done for the purpose of distinguishing the crafts?

#249200  by StevieC48

The T is on the arm facing toward the public when they are operating. Train operators opreate their trains on the right side of the train and the bus & trolley are on the left.

#249230  by CSX Conductor

Thanks Stevie, that makes sense....and by only putting it on one side it saves dollars, LOL. :P
 #249389  by GP40MC 1116

cden4 wrote:For halloween this year I would like to be an MBTA subway operator/driver (I'm not sure of the official term). From what I understand, they wear blue jacket with T's on the shoulders. Right? Are the pants blue, or is that just up to the individual?

Is there anywhere I can get a T jacket, or a T patch to put on a jacket that I have?

Does anyone have a photo of the uniform or someone wearing one?

Thanks in advance.
As far as i konw the MBTA Bus drivers and the rapid transit opperators have the same or simmilar uniforms. I know the colors are at least the same. I did not know about the patch thing until today thanks Stevie!

#249424  by danib62

Is it possible that they switch the patch location for bus/trolley operators and subway personnel b/c subway personnel sit on the right while bus/trolley people sit on the left? Just an idea.

#249562  by StevieC48

Its a good idea but I see the new style uniform with the flags and reflective stripes so I havent really noticed. But in the 90's that is the wat they were.
 #1585676  by Disney Guy

Isn't it the other way around? Bus and streetcar operators should have the T symbol on the jacket right shoulder, to be in view of the passengers as they board? Or is is the (U.S.) flag on the right shoulder facing the public (and the T on the other shoulder)?

The fluorescent green (looks yellow to me) / orange vests for operators must be something recent. I only recalled outdoor employees such as track workers wearing them.

I have made Halloween costumes (such as Superman), with patches and emblems made from cloth scraps or cardboard, and stuck on with double sided tape or safety pins.

I would say that you should not wear a T uniform or reasonable facsimile as a costume while riding the T.

It took me a long time to acquire a Honolulu transit uniform. They only require and have manufactured the shirt, an "aloha shirt" with their "The Bus" logo all over it. They do not sell it to the public. I would never wear it while in Honolulu although it would be okay for riding the T or visiting a trolley museum.

Adult and teen guests in Disney parks may not wear costumes that represent Disney characters, or outfits that are facsimiles of employee uniforms.