Railroad Forums 

• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1578766  by MEC407

FYI:

Finger Lakes Railway is taking over operation of the Rockland Branch, a state-owned branch line that runs from Brunswick, Maine to Rockland, Maine. This branch was originally owned by the Maine Central Railroad and has been owned by the Maine Department of Transportation since the late 1980s. During that time it has been operated by several companies: Maine Coast Railroad, Safe Handling, Maine Eastern Railroad (a subsidiary of Morristown & Erie Railway), Central Maine & Quebec Railway, and most recently Canadian Pacific Railway. FGLK is taking over the contract from CP, and will be operating the branch under the Midcoast Rail Service name.

FGLK B23-7 locomotives 2308 and 2310 will be heading up to Maine soon. [Thanks for RAILROAD.NET member CN9634 for sharing this info.]

Discussion of Rockland Branch current operations can be found here:

rockland-branch-discussion-t160482.html

Skip to page 17 of the thread if you want to get to the part where FGLK comes in.
 #1582844  by lvrr325

FWIW I noted tonight on the out of service portion of the Corning Secondary, the crossing at NY-318 has been removed. It's been about 20 months since I was last through but the asphalt didn't look too old. Lights and gates removed but some of the posts and the gate mechanisms were still present. This crossing is east of NY-14 where the Thruway crosses over at the Geneva exit.

Not looking good for this portion of the line.
 #1582854  by BR&P

No reason for NS to make it easier for FGLK to access CSX, and at this late date I'd be surprised if CSX would return to making another stop in Lyons to drop FGLK cars anyway.
Last edited by BR&P on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1583128  by Matt Langworthy

BR&P wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:26 am No reason for NS to make it easier for FGLK to access CSX, and at this late date I'd be surprised if CSX would return to making another stop in Lyons to drop FGLK cars anyway.
Agreed. Adding a stop in Lyons wouldn't fit well with CSX's PSR policy.
 #1585404  by pumpers

lvrr325 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:40 pm Apparently there was one customer in Lyons who Finger Lakes was able to serve.
By "was able to serve" are you implying FGLK can no longer serve them because track has been lifted? Or more likely the customer went away first?
Jim S
 #1586587  by nessman

umtrr-author wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:02 pm The 318 crossing has been paved over for a number of months-- I'm thinking six or more but never good at that stuff.

My understanding from others is that portions of rail are missing from the line as well.
I believe the switches from the CSX main to the Corning Secondary were removed several years ago. So moot point if crossings start getting paved over.
 #1586915  by blackbearford

Went through Geneva today - I see wheelsets (trucks) where the dormant and disabled equipment rests in the yard. Engines moved around. Did something get scrapped? Where’s that Conway Scenic unit? Is a caboose missing too?