Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1582795  by Ken W2KB

From my understanding of the NJBPU and PJM RTO proceedings documentation, a new substation to connect the submarine cables to the existing 138,000 Volt transmission line at Beesleys Point will be built. The capacity of the existing transmission line is in the vicinity of 450 megawatts so there will be large transformers, reactors, and other substantially sized equipment that will be delivered. If I recall correctly, the construction of the project is expected to commence a year or two from now, pending all final approvals. If the Beasley's Point track is good enough condition that would seem the best way to deliver the materials. On the other hand, project partner PSEG recently acquired rights to the Salem port facility for purposes of the offshore wind project, so potentially the material could be barged to Beesleys Point from Salem. Time will tell. There is an upcoming public meeting on the Beesleys Point project so if anyone can attend the question could be asked. https://ocnjsentinel.com/open-house-on- ... ean-wind-1
 #1582810  by Bracdude181

@Ken W2KB The Beesleys Point Secondary south of Tuckahoe and the Beesleys Point Industrial Track should be at least Class 1 track. It’s at least better than the Southern Secondary.
 #1582818  by RailsEast

Assuming symbol is SA-93, crew is northbound at Sycamore Ave in Shrewsbury at 7:12 in the pm, CSX 6159 lhf...
 #1583045  by Bracdude181

Just heard that apparently there was an incident at Brick Recycling on Sunday.

Sounds like SA93 pushed Marjams car too far and they hit some drums of hydraulic fluid that were sitting on the track. Car is sitting very close to the building and has caution tape on it as of this afternoon...
 #1583067  by Bracdude181

@ccutler Good question. I’m not sure if the end of the track is where Brick Recycling normally stores their hydraulic fluid. I’m wondering exactly how they did the work. Something is telling me that they did a “flying switch” because I don’t think that car would’ve gone that far with a conductor riding the back telling the engineer where his end of the train was, unless there was some sort of problem like a radio failure.
 #1583074  by Tanker1497

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:36 am @ccutler Good question. I’m not sure if the end of the track is where Brick Recycling normally stores their hydraulic fluid. I’m wondering exactly how they did the work. Something is telling me that they did a “flying switch” because I don’t think that car would’ve gone that far with a conductor riding the back telling the engineer where his end of the train was, unless there was some sort of problem like a radio failure.
Ok, you through that crew under the bus!
I think they were using the poling pocket and got crazy fast!
Lets see what the boss says this morning when he reads this page?
He might ask for pictures of the event from a rail fan for the hearing!
 #1583078  by CR7876

Tanker1497 wrote: Ok, you through that crew under the bus!
I think they were using the poling pocket and got crazy fast!
Lets see what the boss says this morning when he reads this page?
He might ask for pictures of the event from a rail fan for the hearing!
Already got all the info I need. G-250 being mailed out as we speak.
 #1583087  by NY&LB

On Fri Mar 12, 2004 I created this thread after the earlier thread of the same name was "lost", that makes 21 YEARS of informative and relevant posts by MANY very knowledgably people on THE SOUTHERN SECONDARY.
The thread has now evolved into a thread with only a few posters, some who are exhibiting behaviors that, IMHO, are not appropriate to this thread or Railroad.net. There have been numerous attempts made to try and correct things, all to no avail which is more than apparent by the last few posts. I made such an attempt on Fri Oct 08, 2021 at 1:16 pm to no avail as have many others.

What has this done?
It has driven away many knowledgeable and respected posters and made the thread nothing more than a place for a few to make posts full of phrases like: "Just heard"; "apparently"; "Something is telling me"; bash CR management; name call CR managers; etc. that are not factually based.

In an attempt to get this thread back "on track" and to once again be THE authoritative source of FACTUAL INFORMATION on what is happening on the Southern Secondary, I urge ALL posters to THINK before you post, Is what you are posting FACT or HEARSAY? What are the possible unintended consequences of your post? and USE COMMON SENSE!
 #1583090  by Bracdude181

@Tanker1497 Maybe they hit the car with one of their machines and moved it by accident. There is some pretty heavy equipment in there. That’s the only other explanation I could think of. That track is flat in there so I can’t imagine that car moving on its own.

My friend was the one who informed me about what had happened but didn’t have the time to stop for pictures. I have to go get my car fixed in an hour but I will go get pictures immediately after.
 #1583104  by CharlieL

I would hope that any management people who read this thread would take anything posted on here reflecting on CRSA with a very large grain of salt. Good point about speculation.
 #1583105  by David

I also have been on here since 2004 I have seen many informative people come and go. Right now, I believe there are more contributors I have seen in a long time and I thank all of them for their information. Sometime speculations are interesting and through out the years, some of those speculations have come true. So in conclusion, if you do not agree with a specific speculation, rumor or hearsay, just politely disagree. Give a reason why you disagree. Keep it polite for all. This thread has the most activity of any thread on The New Jersey Railfan forum.