Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1580970  by west point

years ago was around Walk bridge a lot. Now I notice that there is very little coverage of the work. MNRR releases a short update almost every week. Work seems very slow. The extension of CAT on the Danbury branch for train storage has been going on for months The new CP east of the bridge signal house appears to be constructed on site near north water street instead of beings assembled indoors and has also taken months.
Has anyone noticed it one of the tracks over the swing bridge has yet been taken out of service ? Have any of the 2 north tracks had any work to move them been done yet ?
 #1581003  by CraigDK

The Walk Bridge site has regular updates on construction activities, none that I have seen seem very disruptive. They have only had a few public meetings or workshops (virtually) in the last 12 months or so, less than they had earlier in the lead up to work starting. This page shows that construction on Walk should start in the Spring.

Looking at the pictures in the media gallery on the site, it would seem that both the Danbury Branch Project and the CP243 Interlocking are nearly complete. If I had to guess they are probably still working on integrating the catenary and signal system. Maybe some other punch list items. If I have read things correctly finishing both of these projects are needed before beginning actual work on Walk. According to the site, they have also begun relocating utilities in the vicinity of the East Avenue Bridge. This is one of the nearby bridges that will be replaced at the same time as Walk.

It seems that things are moving forward. I guess since travel over the bridge is down and there hasn't been any major problems with it recently, we are not hearing much about it.
Last edited by CraigDK on Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1581009  by Ridgefielder

This is a super-complicated project. You're replacing a moveable bridge in the middle of a built-up urban area. And that bridge, although small, is essential to the functioning of the primary rail link between New England and the rest of the country. Zero room for error. Little might be visible on the ground but I'm 100% certain that thousands of man-hours have already been put into this on the planning side, with thousands more to go before steel and concrete start getting moved.
 #1582538  by MNCRR9000

In addition I also saw that the new Imax theatre has been completed so the demolition of the old IMAX theatre should commence shortly to make way for a the bridge work site.
 #1582571  by scratchyX1

MNCRR9000 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:29 am In addition I also saw that the new Imax theatre has been completed so the demolition of the old IMAX theatre should commence shortly to make way for a the bridge work site.
The new IMAX Theatre should show a film of demolition of the old IMAX theater

In IMAX
 #1586574  by west point

Here is latest update.

Find it interesting that it is taking so long on wiring the signal house. Can anyone explain why it is being done in the field? Is it because the signal house is too big to transport to the site? I would think that wiring installation could be more accurate and faster if installers could work in a shirt sleeve environment?
One thought is that maybe MNRR is testing the equipment a piece at a time as it is complete?

Construction News December 10, 2021

Fri, Dec 10 at 3:15 PM

Construction News

Friday, December 10 - Monday, December 20

Railroad Activity

Track work on the New Haven Line between Norden Place and Bridge Street

Friday, December 10, from 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM and 10:00 PM - 7:00 AM.
Saturday, December 11, from 6:00 AM - 8:00 PM and 9:00 PM - 7:00 AM.
Sunday, December 12, from 6:00 AM - 8:00 PM and 10:00 PM - 6:00 AM.
Monday, December 13 - Friday, December 17, from 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM and 10:00 PM - 7:00 AM.
Saturday, December 18, from 10:00 PM - 7:00 AM.
No impacts to local roads, rail service or pedestrian traffic are anticipated.
Noise and construction lighting are anticipated.

Construction activities for a new signal house on the New Haven Line between N. Water Street, N. Main Street and Monroe Street
Friday, December 10, from 7:00 AM - 4.30 PM.
Monday, December 13 - Friday, December 17, from 7:00 AM - 4:30 PM.
Noise and construction lighting are anticipated.

Catenary work on the Danbury Branch between Science Road and North Water Street

Friday, December 10, from 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM.
Monday, December 13 to Friday, December 17, from 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM.
Roadway Activity

Overnight Alternating Lane Closures on East Avenue at the Fort Point Street intersection
Thursday, December 16, from 8:00 PM - 6:00 AM.
Alternating lane closures on East Avenue at the Fort Point Street intersection
Motorists are advised to drive carefully along unpaved surface.
All local property and business access are maintained.

Anyone remember how the signal house that burned was replaced?