Railroad Forums 

• Waterville Facilities

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1581291  by fromway

There is an article in todays BDN about the DEP fining PanAm for viotations at the Waterville facility. The article is about illegal discharges that have reached the river among others.. I wonder if CSX will take a good look at the facility to determine if it will keep it going or eventually sell it off to a car repair organization?
 #1581295  by newpylong

They have already stated they intend on the continued operation. Time will tell how long that lasts once they see how the MEC fits within their system.
 #1581300  by J.D. Lang

My uneducated guess would be that they will keep it for running repairs and send the heavier repairs to Selkirk.
 #1582187  by MEC407

Sadly this been an ongoing issue throughout the history of Guilford / Pan Am, and it has happened at all of their majority facilities, including Rigby and East Deerfield.

According to news reports, the Maine Department of Environmental Protection documented 22 oil spills at Rigby Yard between 1983 and 2008. Those spills released a combined 12,000 gallons of petroleum products.

At least two of those spills resulted in diesel fuel and lube flowing into a nearby creek and ending up in the pond at Calvary Cemetery. The railroad didn't report the spills to the authorities; the spills were discovered by mourners at Calvary Cemetery who were paying their respects to deceased loved ones. To say the community was outraged would be an understatement.
 #1582423  by GTIKING

I don't see CSXT keeping the shops in their present configuration. Guilford is still running a outdated steam facility.

I can see two options for the site
1) The complex is raised and new contemporary building installed
2) The site is demolished all together and land sold off/ made into a proper container facility. They're after Poland Springs on a national scale.
 #1582446  by newpylong

I have to agree, the facility is horribly inefficient to operate. They will likely continue to operate as is minus the paint shop to appease the STB/Unions and to have a working facility until they get their feet under them. Then it's anyone's guess - I do think the mileage is far enough away from Selkirk that they will continue to have some sort of mechanical presence there. What it is, who knows. I think a smaller and more efficient service facility like you see in Frontier Yard is most likely.
 #1582492  by GTIKING

I also believe Rigby is a prime choice for engine servicing. It would be a great spot for running repairs and for fuel pads to alleviate the current Worcester woes CSXT has been experiencing. G&W would be glad to get them out of their cramped yards :-)