Railroad Forums 

• Natick/Wellesley bridge replacement

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1570451  by Trinnau

They likely need to close the street down more frequently than the tracks so they can lift the structural steel in to place. The closure was likely for a crane. Look for them to roll both bridges at Bacon and Intervale in on the same weekend when it happens.
 #1575356  by johnpbarlow

Bumping this thread with 3 photos taken today 7/8/21 from rte 135 of the replacement span being rigged to slide into place once the old active 2 track spans are removed. Note that the bridge is a single 3 track capable span.
Attachments:
IMG_9689.jpg
IMG_9689.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 1480 times
IMG_9688.jpg
IMG_9688.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 1480 times
IMG_9687.jpg
IMG_9687.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 1480 times
 #1575465  by Trinnau

A lot of new bridges have new structural piles installed behind the old stone faces. The stone faces are left in place for aesthetic purposes but no longer bear the load. I don't think the plan here is to widen the road, but it probably could be done if desired.
 #1575483  by neman2

Here is East Street in Westwood where they replaced the bridge and widened and lowered the road. As Trinnau stated structural subsurface supports were installed behind the old stone faces that support the new abutment and bridge . The old stone was removed the same weekend the new bridge was installed, and a new non structural concrete abutment that has a surface that resembles the granite was placed after the major weekend shutdown.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2192197 ... 8192?hl=en
 #1575500  by BandA

Sad to see any granite wall go away. Those granite walls are probably stronger & certainly longer-lasting than any piles they are driving, they just won't bother to certify/test the existing wall.
 #1575512  by johnpbarlow

I'm hoping once the new bridge is installed at Bacon St that some of the embankment closest to rte 135 (Central St) can be removed to improve visibility for motorists turning off Bacon St. Cars onto rte 135 where traffic moves at 45mph.
 #1576885  by craven

Bridge successfully replaced over the weekend (7/23-7/25). I'll check to see if they installed the third rail set this weekend.
 #1576911  by Trinnau

Doubtful. MBTA just awarded design of the third track this summer. Since they knew it was coming somebody thought ahead and made sure these bridges were ready for it in advance.
 #1577021  by JacobKoppel

Hopefully they remove all the tagging and graffiti from the granite abutments and in a perfect world pressure wash them on both the bridges... anyways here is the Intervale Road bridge last weekend during the line shutdown. I know these aren’t the best pictures (I was asked to quickly take them by the bridge contractor.) There is definitely a train movement TSR on the bulletin for this bridge. I believe 5 mph trk 1 & 2, not sure if Bacon st. 3 miles west is the same with the TRSB