Railroad Forums 

• Siemens Brightline Equipment/Train Sets

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1568529  by BandA

What they are saying is the extra fuel for the second engine + the extra inspections + capital costs <= 1.) the extra labor costs for the engine to "run around" the train before each run and/or 2.) capital costs of cab cars + the crash liability.

Assume the new trainset will look exactly like the other ones, just a different color. Should be only minor differences.
 #1570227  by nomis

Since 2016 was quite a long time ago. ;-)
 #1576102  by Gilbert B Norman

I would think the only issues the Brightline cars, both those "on the property" and stored awaiting service resumption, as well as those on order, are these lead pipes that have caused delays with deliveries and inauguration with the several Local agencies that have ordered them.

All I know is that based upon rides on OBB (Austria), and my eight Brightline joyrides, that these cars are impeccable equipment. It appears that the North American varietals are derived from the European "stock". Such cars "over there" are also in service with CD (Czech) and DB (German) systems.

Now so far as the lead pipes, no first hand experience; all I've had to drink on any of them is wine.
 #1576110  by eolesen

I don't think its lead pipes... the specs call for stainless piping. I suspect the test failure was due to the soldering process or someone substituting cheap 中国 made fittings.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1576152  by west point

eolesen wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:01 am I don't think its lead pipes... the specs call for stainless piping. I suspect the test failure was due to the soldering process or someone substituting cheap 中国 made fittings.

suspect you are close some cheap-o American or completely correct. A possibility is that manufacturing a part might have used non pure raw materials or built in a lead crucible.
 #1576362  by Ridgefielder

west point wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:23 am
eolesen wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:01 am I don't think its lead pipes... the specs call for stainless piping. I suspect the test failure was due to the soldering process or someone substituting cheap 中国 made fittings.

suspect you are close some cheap-o American or completely correct. A possibility is that manufacturing a part might have used non pure raw materials or built in a lead crucible.
I'm not even sure it's possible to buy lead water pipes. They started phasing it out for plumbing use as long ago as the 1920's. House I grew up in, built in 1931, had copper lines.
 #1576411  by BandA

I purchased some chinese made metal garden nozzles, plastic fittings and metal manifold at tractor supply recently. All of them had warnings about lead even though they appear to be made of aluminum (and possibly zinc), paint coating and plastic. Everything seems to have lead in it, including vinyl siding.

Leaded solder has been prohibited from plumbing for ~~30 years or so? Yet it keeps showing up! The non-lead alternatives cost more and have higher melting temperatures. All brass seems to have lead in it too.
 #1576513  by ExCon90

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:16 am
All I know is that based upon rides on OBB (Austria), and my eight Brightline joyrides, that these cars are impeccable equipment.
European standards of maintenance may have something to do with that, but that shouldn't be a problem, since I don't see Brightline skimping on maintenance.
 #1581658  by robelybasis

Looks like Trainset #6 (locos 111/112) are coming back on Tuesday from Siemens Florin as Brightred. Don't know how long it will be shipping across the country for but ill have to guess it'll take about a week until on Brightline Property.