Railroad Forums 

• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1572911  by MECFAN

Big week in Portsmouth, just over 80 inbound cars this week starting last Sunday night with a nighttime PH-1 bringing in
16 propane and 11 Boise / Home Depots. let the good times roll, cool having trains operating day and night on the branch!!!
PO-9 has also been bringing cars down to Dover and Rockingham at night to help keep the jobs supplied.
 #1574118  by gokeefe

So strange to hear of such high traffic counts down there ... Very interesting and thanks for reporting on it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1574158  by newpylong

Why is it strange? Look at lumber prices (well right up until the last week or so).

Also finally seeing the LPG volume that the facility was expanded to handle.
 #1574407  by artman

Jonathan603 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:23 pm The yard in Portsmouth is clear of ties.
I was there this AM. Sill one pile of ties (perhaps newly dug out?), three MOW vehicles, including a live one, a truck with an electro-magnet getting fired up to pick up scrap iron.

There is a major residential development proposed adjacent to the yard, and promises from the developer that the whole area will be cleaned up. I believe the old RR bldgs., including the turntable are due to be demolished (further) and removed. The yard clean up could be part of this.
 #1574416  by Jonathan603

I drove past earlier but they were doing some road resurfacing on Maplewood so I didn't see much. Sounds like they must have headed down there this morning as I saw a bunch of MOW equipment at Rockingham this morning and lots of vests walking around.
 #1574420  by MECFAN

Jonathan, there is a four day project going on, on the trestle down on the bay. Maybe time for a flight, the line is closed until Sunday night from what I here.
 #1574435  by MECFAN

Was out at Rockingham tonight to catch DOBO tonight. Quite a few vehicles parked there. On the way home I could see floodlights across the marsh and a pretty tall crane boom so they are working out there tonight. Not sure if the crane is on a barge or on rail, was getting dark and quite a distance from the road i was on.
 #1574449  by Jonathan603

Thanks John! I stopped by yesterday afternoon. I wonder what they are doing out on the trestle. I bet there will be a good amount of branch traffic once they are all wrapped up.
 #1574500  by MECFAN

I was wondering the same thing, nothing happening at Depot road as of this morning.
They are also hauling rip rap stone from the yard up the Newington industrial track with the hi rail dump truck. The stone was dumped earlier in the week at the yard.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1574563  by arthur d.

artman wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:51 pm Sill one pile of ties (perhaps newly dug out?
From another location. No evidence of digging in the yard, possibly from the bridge job as there are a number of timbers in the pile.
Also note that the tracks in the yard have had fouling points painted on the rail webs.
Still a lot of relic's (read scrap metal) left over from better days, bunters, switch stands, and the remains of an electric winch. I think there was a pig ramp and the winch was used to move and hold tension on cars spotted there.