Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Crescent Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1572592  by Gilbert B Norman

Colonel, you are quite correct in that the station is at the corner of Dearing and Peachtree, but as I ride the Googlemobile around the area, Amtrak would be between the "rock and a hard place" to handle either Baggage or Handicapped passengers should the elevator there be bad ordered.

While Dearing Road descends to track level and there appears to be a gate there, there does not appear to be an X-ing of the tracks. Evidently, Topper does not want Amtrak golf carts handling baggage or handicapped passengers X-ing his tracks. So what appears to be the case is that the golf cart would need proceed even further South to where there is an underpass. That's private property where the Googlemobile dares not go, so I cannot report as to how that access to the platforms works out.

The last time I was near Peachtree Station was during May '10 when Amtrak still had Train Days. I was going to meet The Late Bill Haithcoat (really nice guy with a wealth of knowledge of South Eastern passenger trains). He was returning from Train Days at Wash on #19; I was in town, and I offered to pick him up so we could spend some time together. Since Bill was essentially disabled (way overweight plus whatever else), fortunately he was right there at street level when I arrived, having gotten there by means of the elevator and a golf cart (bad boy me; I was ten minutes late after "Lady Lex" - Sat Nav - took me on an "excursion").
 #1572597  by west point

Mr Norman" Continue west on Deering to just before it crosses I-75. There is a single lane underpass of the tracks to the parking area SE of tracks. Deering is one way SW -to NE. Getting bags to the train is near impossible as there is no flat area SE of the tracks. Even getting ADA passengers is ???.. Would need some kind of temp platform built to allow access.

This is just one more reason that the Atlanta station needs replacement to another location or a complete make over including an elevator SE of tracks..
 #1572602  by R&DB

How about moving it to the CSX Atlanta Service Center area where CSX tore out a whole yard. Room to build a hub there. I know it's not downtown, but look at JAX.
Last edited by R&DB on Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1572605  by electricron

If Amtrak wants to make Atlanta a hub for operations in the south, then Amtrak needs to lease the facilities to make that happen. Preferably a location near downtown, but definitely more than the single passenger platform and single track they have now. Atlanta should not be the responsible party paying for all of it. The only thing Atlanta should pay for is a new passenger station or terminal. I am not that familiar with Atlanta specifics, so I will let Atlanta and Amtrak select the most viable sites. But you can not be a hub city without facilities to support the trains. Can you imagine a single platform and track anywhere else in America hosting many trains?
 #1572628  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. West Point, I stand corrected regarding the direction of Dearing Road. It appears to run on a 240 heading away from the Station. Possibly I got SRY timetable direction confused, but more likely, I simply did not fact check to the extent necessary.
 #1572724  by MattW

Actually Deering isn't one way, and there is a gate with a grade crossing: https://goo.gl/maps/o2BCS7GYcqq83Mxe6. Also, I know that when the Crescent is due, NS puts a block on the northern track. To get from the freight elevator and ADA elevator to the Crescent's track (always the southern track) requires crossing the track no matter what so NS keeps trains from traversing the area. It seems that most of the sidewalk is wider than normal (look to the right of that gate for comparison) so perhaps at one time it was used for access, and might could be again. Since it's directly at the platform, it's really not a longer distance than the stairs to the platform is.

As to a hub at Tilford, that works for the route up the W&A and a Savannah and Montgomery train, but it would not work for the Crescent. So either Amtrak does a backup move (which I believe before they've stated they are emphatically against) or the Crescent is truncated to Atlanta.
 #1572774  by R&DB

Mattw wrote:
So either Amtrak does a backup move (which I believe before they've stated they are emphatically against)
The Silver Star does it at Tampa.
 #1572836  by MattW

It doesn't mean they want to add doing that to another route. Plus, the Silver Star does its move at what is effectively one end of a dead end branch line. The Crescent doing a backup move o or from Tilford would involve Atlanta's very busy Howell Junction and two railroad, which both have busy mainlines through there.
 #1573032  by twropr

With the elongated schedule taking effect June 6-7, what kind of a consist has the CRESCENT been operating?
Thanks
Andy
 #1573122  by Jeff Smith

Peachtree Station has been in dire need of replacement for decades. At one point, Atlanta had at least two terminals if I recall correctly, but those are long gone and the land gone. The "Gulch" has also been spoken for. If Amtrak is going to create a hub there, there going to have to solve some issues.
 #1573129  by Gilbert B Norman

Absolutely, Mr. Smith

Terminal Station used by the SRY, CofG, and SAL.

Union Station used by NC&StL and ACL.

Both were virtually adjacent to one another and were in that area referred to as "The Gulch" which remains active CSX and NS property, and over which air rights are used by CNN Hq, a Convention Center, a sports arena, and a hotel.
 #1573154  by west point

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:16 pm Absolutely, Mr. Smith

Terminal Station used by the SRY, CofG, and SAL.

Union Station used by NC&StL and ACL.

Both were virtually adjacent to one another and were in that area referred to as "The Gulch" which remains active CSX and NS property, and over which air rights are used by CNN Hq, a Convention Center, a sports arena, and a hotel.
Add Atlanta and West Point ( A&WP ) to terminal station - One time route of Crescent south of ATL
Add L&N and Georgia RR to Union station
 #1573172  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. West Point, sorry; forgot your namesake road. Should have gotten out a Guide for ready reference.

L&N? that's the NC&STL in Atlanta. Had I said L&N someone would have jumped me for that "inaccuracy".
 #1573180  by NY&LB

Well, I just had to get out the 1941 Official Guide which, in addition to the above posts, lists the Atlanta, Birmingham and Coast Railroad (ACL in 1946) ( Union Station);
The 1941 Official Guide also lists the NC&STL and L&N separately.
Thanks for the early morning history lesson!
"Terminal station and Union Station 1/4 mile apart"
 #1573188  by Gilbert B Norman

OK, I concede and offer apologies to Messrs. Long Branch and West Point for 1) forgetting Mr. West Point's road, and 2) for failing to do in the first place what Mr. Long Branch did - get out a Guide and fact check.

Yes, the L&N did serve Atlanta; Cinci-Corbin-Cartersville-Atlanta; route of "The Flamingo". What I don't know is if a separate coupon (an interline ticket) was needed for travel over the NC&STL when originating on the L&N.

The Flamingo, while Coach only during '64, was long gone before A-Day.

Finally and away from topic. It appears Atlanta., without being located on any kind of navigable waterway (OK; a millennial on the Chattahoochee in a kayak), forgets what put it there - continuing at least so far as passengers - railroads!
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.