Railroad Forums 

• Rail incident at NWS Earle 5-18-21

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1571628  by GooStats

Press release from the NWS Earle Facebook page:

Earle Responds to Minor Train Incident
COLTS NECK, NEW JERSEY – At approximately 5:30 a.m. today, personnel from Naval Munitions Command and Naval Weapons Station Earle Security responded to a minor incident on-board an ordnance-laden Navy Train here.
NMC crewmembers reported hearing an unknown noise from one of the rail cars, and stopped the train in order to investigate while still on-board the installation.
As a result, and in order to ensure the safety of our Navy personnel and the surrounding community, the intersection of Normandy Road and Hockhockson Road, as well as the South Gate to the installation were temporarily closed.
Members of Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit 12, Detachment Earle conducted a thorough inspection of the ordnance and found no issues.
A similar safety and maintenance inspection was conducted on the rail cars and found no issues, and the train was able to continue travel at approximately 7:45 a.m.
“I want to commend the swift and professional response by our Naval Munitions Command employees, Naval Security, EOD, Public Works and Safety personnel, as well as the members of the Colts Neck Police Department and Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office,” said Lt. Cmdr. Jack Smock, NWS Earle Executive Officer. “Thanks to their efforts, we were able to continue to meet our critical mission while ensuring the safety of both our Navy personnel, as well as that of our surrounding community.”
 #1571871  by pdtrains

Nice to know that the Earle RR is still active. Is it illegal to take pix of Earle trains, even from public areas?....or is the RR entirely on USN property?
 #1571878  by R&DB

The railroad does cross a few public roads, West Front Street in Middletown for example. The legality of photographing the the trains from public property I have no knowledge of, but access to the majority of the line is not allowed. NWS Earle is after all an ammo dump. No nukes, but everything else the US Navy surface fleets use.
 #1571952  by pdtrains

If you are living in the 21st century (mentally), im sure u know that all our friends and enemies have plenty of satellites that can take as many pix of Earle as they want, that would be way more informative than anything a railfan could get a pic of at a grade crossing.

I rode both of the Earle fan trips, and we were all taking pix all over the place... We rode thru the bunker area one time. I rode on the walkways of an SW8 while we were on the pier.
 #1572031  by GooStats

pdtrains wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:01 am Nice to know that the Earle RR is still active. Is it illegal to take pix of Earle trains, even from public areas?....or is the RR entirely on USN property?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i2QOsO6lNZk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is only video I could find of an Earle train (that wasn't one of the excusion specials in 2000. I don't know how often these trains run, but I've only seen one in my entire life.
 #1572090  by Ken W2KB

pdtrains wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:17 am If you are living in the 21st century (mentally), im sure u know that all our friends and enemies have plenty of satellites that can take as many pix of Earle as they want, that would be way more informative than anything a railfan could get a pic of at a grade crossing.

I rode both of the Earle fan trips, and we were all taking pix all over the place... We rode thru the bunker area one time. I rode on the walkways of an SW8 while we were on the pier.
Yes, and so long as the aircraft stays below 3,000 feet no permission from air traffic control or anyone else is required to fly over it and take photos. https://tinyurl.com/EarleAirNavChart
 #1572388  by GSC

Try Google maps. You'd be surprised at how much railroad is in Earle. Kind of looks like an N-scale "bowl of spaghetti" track layout. Trackage going every which way with several wyes.