Railroad Forums 

• Route 6 , 23 , 50 , 53 , 54 , 56 , 60 Trolleys

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1571661  by septaglizzy27

Would it be possible to bring back the 6 , 23 , 50 , 53 , 54 , 56 & 60 Trolleys in this modern time ? 23 & 56 seems the most possible but Septa is lazy as fuck when it comes to those two , the 54 & 60 could use trolleys to stop overcrowding on the current artics & the 50 & 53 should be restored just because . when septa gets the new trolleys , i feel like they will order way more than just the ones that’ll replace the K Cars & the PCC II
 #1571804  by PHLSpecial

The problem with the 23 and 56 most of the platforms are gone. They need to need to rebuild that and hang the wires. The 60 sort of makes sense since they can share the same station where the 15 ends. I would love more cross town trolleys. The big issue first in my opinion is making sure all the current trolley network has better right of ways.
 #1571869  by ExCon90

I hope the current study of reorganizing the transit network strongly points out the need for the City of Philadelphia and its various departments to be fully on board (so to speak) so that traffic flows can be separated where possible: stretches of Erie Ave. and Girard Ave., to name two, have room in the center for a right-of-way dedicated to streetcars. This was tried in previous years, but an apparent lack of interest on the city's part in enforcing the separation rendered it meaningless and thus ineffective. Whatever the planners come up with will be ineffective without enforcement by the city.
 #1571894  by JeffK

ExCon90 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:21 pm Whatever the planners come up with will be ineffective without enforcement by the city.
And that's absolutely the core of the problem. Years ago there was regular enforcement against blockages. Now the city's attytood seems to be "Well, people are gonna double-park. Nuthin' we can do about it." - witness the boneheaded idea that Route 15 should be re-bustituted as a surrender to illegal parking.
 #1572536  by Gorindya

This subject has been talked about on this forum many times

https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/commen ... 90821.html

The Infrastructure on those routes has deteriorated to the point that it would be necessary completely rebuild from scratch. Even if Septa acquired extra rolling stock, Its not as simple as ripping up asphalt and restringing wires. While there are many remnants visible, the electrical systems, substations and track are way too far gone. (Septa and PTC have done so on purpose) Rebuilding from scratch means funding, environmental studies and grants as well as the not in my back yard opposition and some times community opposition as well (remember the 59th street standoff)? Id love to go on a tour of the many loops like Wayne and Carpenter, Rising sun and Knor , 60th and Allegheney, and Ogontz & Cheltenham Ave. It would make me depressed to see what Philadelphia once had. The only area that i could ever see being reinstated is the upper end of the route 23 Because the Germantown depot could be used as a car barn to store the vehicles and for the most part the pieces are still in tact. Its time to look at other cities like Portland or Seattle or Detroit and follow their model. Philadelphia needs to get a different company other than SEPTA to build and run a loop around center city, or old city independence hall area. Maybe SEPTA can extend their lines like the 101 from Media to Granite run mall or the Route 10 up 63rd Street to a new City av loop in or around Overbrook Station or the Route 15 to Frankford Arsenal.