Railroad Forums 

• NYAR Train Sighting Thread

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1562698  by tahawus84

Saw probably the largest train I ever saw go though Medford today. 29 cars with a mp15 and a gp up front and two gp’s on the rear. Looks like they shoved most of the cars into BRT on the trip east and they continued on to the gas place in river head. Probably has been larger trains in the past but this was the longest I have ever seen out here. It’s great to see the business they have out here now compared to 15 years ago when I was watching them as a kid.
 #1571336  by lwrmtk271

SW1001 101 heading east on the Lower Montauk, lite power.

Also, last nights RS80 had flatcars at the front of the train. Wonder what they will be used for...
 #1571356  by AlKaLI

So no one is saying anything about the NY&A derailment??

Apparently on 5-12-21 evening, NY&A derailed just east of Jamaica station near Hall Tower. All of Thursday and at least this morning, 5 CDEX hoppers have been left just east of Jamaica with GP38-2 CITX 402. At least 2 of the CDEX are off the tracks and one is leaning. Don't know if they were loaded. Anyone with more info?
 #1571375  by lwrmtk271

AlKaLI wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:09 pm So no one is saying anything about the NY&A derailment??

Apparently on 5-12-21 evening, NY&A derailed just east of Jamaica station near Hall Tower. All of Thursday and at least this morning, 5 CDEX hoppers have been left just east of Jamaica with GP38-2 CITX 402. At least 2 of the CDEX are off the tracks and one is leaning. Don't know if they were loaded. Anyone with more info?
That train would have been the Wednesday (5-12-21) RS51, and RS51 picks up loaded trash cars from CDEX (Coastal Distribution).

Also, a little update on things along the Lower Montauk:
- SW1001 101 has not yet returned from wherever it went earlier.
- RS41 had 261 leading LHF. 155 was dropped off somewhere, as it was with 261 earlier on the RS40.
 #1571467  by lwrmtk271

Updates on the derailment at Jamaica:

The rescue train came back west at approximately 1 AM on 5/15. The consist was as follows:
- NYA 101
- NYA 155
- 3-4 empty flatcars
- CITX 402
- 2-3 garbage cars

The 101 had gone east to Jamaica earlier in the day. The 155 was dropped off earlier in the day on either the RS40 or RS41. The empty flatcars came east on 5/13's RS80. I assume that the flatcars were used for braking power because the brakes on 402 and the garbage cars were cut out.
 #1571571  by lwrmtk271

Today was another interesting day for NYA...

RS40 heads east with 270 and 261 at approx. 9:38AM, and its all mixed freight bound for Pineaire.
- Interesting to note that there was about 3-4 hoppers with the markings "Grand River Railway".

RS41 heads west with 261 and 270 at approx. 3:33PM, and it too is mixed freight
- The train was a nice 62 cars long and is certainly up there on the longest NYA trains.
- About 10 cars in there was a empty centerbeam bearing faded Union Pacific markings.
 #1572117  by D45 CRTe LE

lwrmtk271 wrote:Today was another interesting day for NYA...

RS40 heads east with 270 and 261 at approx. 9:38AM, and its all mixed freight bound for Pineaire.
- Interesting to note that there was about 3-4 hoppers with the markings "Grand River Railway".

RS41 heads west with 261 and 270 at approx. 3:33PM, and it too is mixed freight
- The train was a nice 62 cars long and is certainly up there on the longest NYA trains.
- About 10 cars in there was a empty centerbeam bearing faded Union Pacific markings.
Any idea if there are any trains on the Lower Montauk during the day? I’ve been there a few times before and haven’t seen a train, but just wanted to make sure none are scheduled!
 #1572152  by rb

I can only see the westernmost end of the Lower Montauk, but here's what I've observed. Empty trash cars are *often* dropped in the morning, 6-7 days per week. Not sure when they are picked up. Freight to Wheelspur sometimes appears during the day, but most often cars seem to be dropped between midnight and 6am. No idea about the aggregate cars to Maspeth, if that's still a thing.

Keep in mind that WM uses their Shuttlewagons to move cars between their facility and Blissville throughout the day.
 #1572160  by D45 CRTe LE

rb wrote:I can only see the westernmost end of the Lower Montauk, but here's what I've observed. Empty trash cars are *often* dropped in the morning, 6-7 days per week. Not sure when they are picked up. Freight to Wheelspur sometimes appears during the day, but most often cars seem to be dropped between midnight and 6am. No idea about the aggregate cars to Maspeth, if that's still a thing.

Keep in mind that WM uses their Shuttlewagons to move cars between their facility and Blissville throughout the day.
Specifically in the area of Forest Park around noon, there’s a near zero chance of a train, right? Thanks for any advice!
 #1572601  by freightguy

Those are carloads of sand for a golf course somewhere in Nassau county. Never know what might roll through the terminal!
 #1572719  by lwrmtk271

D45 CRTe LE wrote:Specifically in the area of Forest Park around noon, there’s a near zero chance of a train, right? Thanks for any advice!
Yes, there is in fact a daytime NYA freight train that runs to and from Fresh Pond (and goes thru Forest Park). Symbols are RS40 (eastbound) and RS41 (westbound), and runs Mo-Tu-Th-Fr (but runs if needed on Wed.). Usually it passes thru Forest Park between 9 and 10:30 AM going eastbound. Going back west, it usually passed between 2:30 and 5 PM.

Also: PR20B 300 has returned to service, with its first run being Friday 5/28's RS40. Currently it is paired up with 268.
 #1572890  by lwrmtk271

Last night's (6-3-21) RS51 was a nice treat. It had FIVE engines up front, and I was told it basically took all the power that was in Pineaire lol.

Power for the 51 was as follows: 156 (leading), 271, 159, CITX 402, 270

Power for last night's 80 and today's 40 was 300 and 268. The two of them have been doing the 40/41/80/81 this whole week.
 #1575567  by D45 CRTe LE

out of curiosity, anyone know if/when trains run on the Bay Ridge Branch? Is that atill a thing? Also, slightly off topic, but does anyone know where PW’s CHFP power is stored at FP before FPCH leaves?

Thanks for any help!
 #1576666  by D45 CRTe LE

lwrmtk271 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:56 pm
D45 CRTe LE wrote:Specifically in the area of Forest Park around noon, there’s a near zero chance of a train, right? Thanks for any advice!
Yes, there is in fact a daytime NYA freight train that runs to and from Fresh Pond (and goes thru Forest Park). Symbols are RS40 (eastbound) and RS41 (westbound), and runs Mo-Tu-Th-Fr (but runs if needed on Wed.). Usually it passes thru Forest Park between 9 and 10:30 AM going eastbound. Going back west, it usually passed between 2:30 and 5 PM.

Also: PR20B 300 has returned to service, with its first run being Friday 5/28's RS40. Currently it is paired up with 268.
does this train/any train interchange with bay ridge branch trains? if yes, is there a schedule for trains on the bay ridge branch? also, if one were to go to FP yard, would one see all NYA power or would there be a few CSX/PW locos there? if yes, are these stored in an easily accessible/viewable location? thanks for any help!