Railroad Forums 

• ATSF/GTW caboose, Inlet, NY

• For discussion about the historical operations and preservation of the ATSF, more commonly known as the "Sante Fe", before its merger with Burlington Northern in 1996.
For discussion about the historical operations and preservation of the ATSF, more commonly known as the "Sante Fe", before its merger with Burlington Northern in 1996.

#267677  by caboose9

8222 wrote, "Roger, are you in need of a photo of it at Inlet or are you all set with what you have?"

Hi,

I received a couple of good photos of the Inlet, NY, caboose off-line.

It certainly looks correct for an ex-ATSF 2200 series and GTW 79186 caboose!

Thanks, Roger
 #272947  by frankc

The RPO associated with Inlet was actually operated on a steamboat that ran between Inlet and Old Forge on the Fulton Chain of Lakes. The RPO cancellation was always "TR. 1". :-) As stated above, there never was any kind of railroad at Inlet.
 #723088  by chazinlet

I have one or two pictures of the Inlet caboose. How in the world do I attach them here?
 #723090  by chazinlet

Regarding RPO postmark on the Fulton Chain mailboat to Inlet, there were four postmarks differing as follows:

TR1 Old Forge Inlet morning trip
TR2 Inlet Old Forge morning trip
TR3 Old Forge INlet afternoon trip
TR4 Inlet Old Forge afternoon trip
 #1565228  by BR&P

Talk about necroposting! This thread has been dead and buried for over 11 years but I'll exhume it to post a pic. On the previous page there was discussion of the AFSF cabooses sold to GTW and repainted. At that time I didn't have a scanner, but now here's a shot of ATSF 1503 at Port Huron MI 7-19-1970, stripped and waiting for sandblasting and painting. It became GTW 75024 according to Roger. I have roster shots of the other 4 mentioned if needed. Just in case anybody cars all these years later! :wink:
ATSF 1503 Port Huron MI 7-19-70.jpg
ATSF 1503 Port Huron MI 7-19-70.jpg (248.36 KiB) Viewed 5771 times
 #1569229  by riffian

Interesting too note that t he 1503 is only the 4th steel caboose built for the Santa Fe. (1927, 1500-1599). Also appears that it was previously painted in Feb. 1954 or 59, at Albuquerque shops. Surprised that GTW would buy such an old car when there must have been many newer second-had cars available.
 #1570682  by BR&P

Just a guess, but probably a combination of the right price, and/or they figured they were going to rebuild them so thoroughly that age would not matter.

I blew up the pic on my computer and that date stencil is 2-59.