Railroad Forums 

• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1566122  by FlaredFoamer

There are only two daily trains: Northbound Q620 (Selkirk-Massena), southbound Q621 (Massena-Selkirk). Both work Norwood and Watertown on the weekdays. There are around 3 Monday-Friday local trains between Massena and Syracuse: B785 (Massena-Canton Turn), B778 (Watertown Based Local), and some B train that's Woodard based (Maybe B773?). Other than that, there's no other trains between that stretch other than random military trains to/ from Fort Drum which run during the spring and the fall.
Last edited by FlaredFoamer on Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1566506  by lvrr325

If the ethanol plant in Fulton is open you get occasional unit trains going there too. I think the Woodard job now handles all the Fulton sub stuff, but I could be wrong.

A northbound went up this morning 7/21 with third out a genset unit of some sort, bright orange hood top and frame with yellow hood sides. 4 axles. No visible markings and I couldn't make out the number on it. A CSX GP40 was behind it.
 #1566641  by johnpbarlow

Here is what I see re: the current CSX - CN interchange operation on the Massena line:

CSX trains hauling CN interchange:
Q620 Selkirk, NY to Massena, NY Daily Works Dewitt Yard - Syracuse, NY, & Watertown, NY
Q621 Massena, NY to Selkirk, NY Daily Works Watertown, NY, & DeWitt Yard - Syracuse, NY.
B762 Massena, NY to Huntington, QC and return Mon-Fri

CN Trains hauling CSX interchange:
M32621 Huntingdon, QC (CSXT) to Taschereau Yard - Montreal, QC Wed-Mon
M32721 Taschereau Yard - Montreal, QC to Huntingdon, QC (CSXT) Wed-Mon
 #1568393  by joha107

CSX B798 runs daily and shuttles Q621 and Q620 between Massena and the CN interchange, typically the same crew will bring Q620 north and then bring Q621 back to Massena or vice versa. B762 might be the symbol for the job that runs to Beauharnois , QC to handle all the traffic that is destined for there, that traffic is set off/picked up in Norwood or Massena.
 #1568472  by lvrr325

A friend tells me they're doing ties and pulling up a lot of unused track on the Fulton Sub the last couple weeks. Leads to Armstrong gone, NYO&W engine house track gone, etc.

Military train went up I think Friday too.
 #1569740  by Bigt

Today (this afternoon) and once more in the past week, I have found a Northbound parked just clear of the private crossing near the Jeffords Steel facility in Potsdam, NY. Both trains had two units and 30 to 40 cars. Both trains did not appear to have a crew aboard? In both cases, the trains were gone an hour later. I have never before seen this location used for "holding". Can anyone shed some light on this, what was going on? Thanks.
 #1569741  by BR&P

Bigt wrote:Today (this afternoon) and once more in the past week, I have found a Northbound parked just clear of the private crossing near the Jeffords Steel facility in Potsdam, NY. In both cases, the trains were gone an hour later. Can anyone shed some light on this, what was going on? Thanks.
Is the nearest diner within walking distance?
 #1569807  by Bigt

BR&P...well, now you mention it, there is a Dunkin Donuts / Kentucky Fried Chicken place a couple hundred yards up from where they were parked. Would they be parked for a meal break...is that allowed? Years ago, the local crew would tie up in Canton for lunch, but, they were usually meeting one of the "big jobs" coming north from Dewitt. I've never seen one of the big trains do this.
 #1569836  by BR&P

I can't speak for what "is allowed" nor how CSX does things. I WILL say that it's been my experience that any time there is a good place to eat or an ice cream stand adjacent to the tracks, there is always a path through the bushes from one to the other.
 #1570090  by tree68

I've seen the local tie up in Evans Mills, next to Stewarts.

I was headed into the yard in Utica to work an Adirondack train one morning. The driveway was blocked by CSX, making a pick-up from the MA&N. As I sat there waiting for them to clear, here comes the conductor with a tray from Dunkin. He'd walked the long way around to get there...