Railroad Forums 

• NJ announces 2021 rail construction grants

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1569707  by CharlieL

Phase 2 consists of bridge repair at MP 58.45, and another 27,500 ft of rail (R.L.S.R, as opposed to 132#), associated ties and hardware, disposal of old rotted ties, ballast, new wood ties (phase 1 lists creosoted wood ties and steel ties), recycled aggregate and ballast. Just over $3 mil.
What is R.L.S.R rail? A lower grade?
 #1569726  by pumpers

CharlieL wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:24 pm Phase 2 consists of bridge repair at MP 58.45,
I apologize if this has already been posted, but looking at an old Conrail timetable, this seems to be the bridge over the creek just north of the River Ave. (Route 9) crossing on the south side of Lakewood, carrying the outlet from Lake Manetta.
R.L. = re-lay (used rail)?
 #1569730  by R&DB

CharlieL wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:24 pm Phase 2 consists of bridge repair at MP 58.45, and another 27,500 ft of rail (R.L.S.R, as opposed to 132#), associated ties and hardware, disposal of old rotted ties, ballast, new wood ties (phase 1 lists creosoted wood ties and steel ties), recycled aggregate and ballast. Just over $3 mil.
Charlie, where did you find that?
Re-lay Southern rail? I've seen rail as light as 110# and as heavy as 145# on the Southern Secondary. 27500 ft = about 5.2 miles. Where?
 #1569738  by CharlieL

Harry, last page of grant request, item 29. Both rail items (132# &RLSR) are split between phase 1 and phase 2.

The previous bridges I asked about are on the FIT, 8.96 & 12.75

Now that I think about it, RLSR may mean relay salvaged rail, as there is no salvage value listed, thought the grant process specifically asks.
Also turnouts are referenced earlier as used, specifically mentioned that way, and here listed as RLSR.

Looks like new rail on FIT, used rail transferred to Southern (or maybe used elsewhere on FIT).
Where are they gonna add 13,500 feet of track?
 #1569739  by CharlieL

Also mentioned are "compromise bars", 16pair, which are apparently used to join different weight rails and maintain constant rail height. Since 2 pair are used for each change in rail weight seems like there will be 8 places where rail weight changes.
 #1569743  by R&DB

Perhaps they are planning to salvage rail from the portion between Red Bank and Earle? If the track on the OOS piece of the TRIT needs replacing with heavier rail, why would they re-lay it on the Southern?
 #1569744  by CharlieL

First phase is mp22 -24.6, new rail (I think). The old rail to be used in phase 2. Supposition..The wording suggests the rail is to be removed under phase 1 and reused in phase 2. There are also those 2 turnouts --

Charlie
 #1569745  by R&DB

There are also those 2 turnouts --
Charlie, I think there may be 4:
2 New or reconditioned 132# #10
2 R.S.L.R.
I think there needs to be a run-around at or near Farmingdale, so that's 2. Perhaps a wye there too?
Something I noticed is there is no mention of FRA track class after the improvements.
 #1569747  by CharlieL

Perhaps a runaround outside the Earl gate (old gsps maps indicate there was one there once upon a time) to service Bel-ray, extech etc, and a wye at Farmingdale. Darnit, I wanna know. I'm old and impatient.

Charlie
 #1569759  by JohnFromJersey

A couple of things:

Relating to the FIT, do you think D&D will try to get Nestle to do rail shipments again? They haven't done shipments since the 70's/80's, but I think it could be economical for Nestle and D&D. If this happened we would most likely see frequent service with rather large amounts of cars for them.

Also, it seems like C&D is looking to almost double-track the line; over 5 miles of consistent track seems pretty overkill for a runaround, unless they are planning on redoing the TRIT or expecting HUGE trains/lots of customers to be serviced. If they are seeking to double-track the line, that's probably where they will reuse some of the older rail that seems like it will be recycled.
 #1569894  by CharlieL

I think it's beginning. Last week in preparation for paving a portion of Howell rd, about a hundred feet of curbing was placed at the crossing on either side, with cuts where the track would cross. This morning there are fresh white markings showing the ROW, and the township is removing brush within those markings and a little to either side between the road and where the track ends. It might just be the township being smart so the road will not need to be redone after the track crossing is placed.
 #1569937  by JohnFromJersey

CharlieL wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:44 am I think it's beginning. Last week in preparation for paving a portion of Howell rd, about a hundred feet of curbing was placed at the crossing on either side, with cuts where the track would cross. This morning there are fresh white markings showing the ROW, and the township is removing brush within those markings and a little to either side between the road and where the track ends. It might just be the township being smart so the road will not need to be redone after the track crossing is placed.
Will we start seeing D&D trains before or after this ROW work is complete?