Railroad Forums 

• Toms River Industrial Track!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1565672  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

The Barnegat Bay Bridge mentioned earlier burned in Dec 1946; at that point service between there and Bay Head was abandoned. Tracks and service was cut back to South Toms River when GSP was built, as mentioned in a previous post. Passenger service ended with end of mail contract in early 50’s. Some freight service continued along the then called “Birmingham Running Track”; tracks were torn up between South Toms River and South Pemberton in 1967.

JohnfromJersey, if you are interested in more, there is a thread earlier labeled “RR Line from Camden to Toms River” which discusses this line in depth.
 #1565746  by GSC

CJPat wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:04 am The PRR did have a station in South Toms River (technically in North Beachwood) when the PRR route ran from Whiting (Whiting Junction at that time) thru South Toms River, Beachwood, Pine Beach and Ocean Gate until it turned and crossed the Bay to Seaside and then turn north and run all the way up to Bayhead before joining the NY&LB.
Looking at Google maps, look along the river in Pine Beach. Find Station Road and follow the curve toward the north. This was the junction to the PRR and connection to the drawbridge that went over the river to Island Heights. Wanamaker's department store in Philly maintained a camp there for its employees.
 #1565771  by CJPat

There are a picture or two floating out there of the bridge to Island Heights. If I recall properly, Island Heights had a station on the bridge itself.
 #1566252  by GSC

Here's a link to some station images. The top row features Island Heights station and drawbridge.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... hs-omr-001

Edit: There are some great old pics on this site. Scroll down for lots of Seaside, LBI, and other old station views. Great stuff.
 #1566341  by R&DB

@GSC,

All this discussion of Seaside, Island Heights, etc. belongs in the topic titled
RR line from Camden to Toms River
as the P&LB had nothing to do with the TRIT, formerly the Barnegat Branch of the CNJ. The only thing the CNJ and P&LB had in common was the diamond crossing in Beachwood. Yes, Toms River area, but different railroads.
But I appreciate the pictures and your posts. I've posted in the wrong topic as well.
 #1569141  by JohnFromJersey

A few questions regarding the TRIT:
1. When was the last time a revenue train was on the line?
2. Have any of the crossings on the line been paved over? If so, how many?
3. What is the state of the trackage on the line?
4. Are there any potential customers, or is this line dead until a commuter/passenger scheme arises?
 #1569146  by David

JohnFromJersey wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:14 pm A few questions regarding the TRIT:
1. When was the last time a revenue train was on the line?
2. Have any of the crossings on the line been paved over? If so, how many?
3. What is the state of the trackage on the line?
4. Are there any potential customers, or is this line dead until a commuter/passenger scheme arises?
All those questions can be answered if you go back and check the history of this thread. Most have been spoken about recently.
 #1569212  by Tanker1497

So here's a question THE OCEAN COUNTY (SEWERAGE) UTILITIES AUTHORITY, built and tried to sell Ocean Grow by rail. It was quickly stopped first by a law suit from Miracle Gro but really because of State lines it was stopped!
THE OCEAN COUNTY (SEWERAGE) UTILITIES AUTHORITY spent millions of dollars on the siding and the loader systems. Only to be stopped very soon after its first shipments.
What the question is went they paid to have the turnout installed off the TRIT, why did NJDOT just remove it for the Lakewood runaround. Wouldn't there be compensation back? Or was it we'ar going to borrow this we will give it back if you need it?
These things keep me up at night!
 #1569219  by CharlieL

I'm reachin' here, but maybe D&D is pursuing customers? Or is it just the paving there is in bad shape.

I avoid that area; too many old people (yes I can say that, I'm only 80).
 #1569223  by Tanker1497

The new track has been laying the for quite some time. Its being replaced do to a bad roadway. They just can't pave over it as has been done in some towns.
 #1569238  by R&DB

From what I understand the repair of the crossing was planned for last Fall (2020) and still has not been completed. I have driven over that crossing and it is ROUGH!
 #1569715  by Tanker1497

JohnFromJersey wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:19 pm Why are they fixing it if a train hasn't gone through it in 20 years?
Why did they rebuild the crossing in Farmingdale (months ago) when a train hasn't been over it in 20 years...
Woops they decided to bring the Farmingdale and Squan Village Railroad Company track (aka now NJDOT)fromOOS. But only the portion from Farmingdale to the Freehold indutrial track.
It seems they like to do these covert operations seemingly making little sence!
Lets just let it be a surprize?
 #1569718  by R&DB

The crossing at Bimini Road is planned for replacement doe to complaints from the area residents. The State is responsible for crossings on track it owns and the NJDoT owns the TRIT. They think the TRIT is a possible future asset so they will repair the crossing rather than paving it over. The crossing is on the border of Toms River and the Holiday City section of Berkeley Twp. and has very high senior driver traffic.
Tanker, technically the
Farmingdale and Squan Village Railroad Company track
actually was the section from Farmingdale diamond to Manasquan. The OOS section was originally called the Freehold Marl Company Railroad. It connect in Freehold with the Freehold & Jamesburg. The entire 3 lines were bought out around 1868 by PRR and were renamed the F&J. With the failure of PennCentral it be came State property and is now operated by CSAO.