Railroad Forums 

• Broad Street LIne Extension/Pending Infrastructure Bill

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1567630  by ewonder

With President Biden's Infrastructure Package being debated in D.C is there any chance the BSL could be shovel ready to extend to the Northeast section of the city and/or to the Navy Yard. Septa has had decades to come up with a plan. Of course I'd love to see a tunnel carry the BSL under the Delaware River to N.J. but that seems like a "bridge to far" with so many other projects that need to be addressed by SEPTA. What other mass transit projects should be on the region's wish list ? Joe Biden is from the region, knows it well and supports mass transit. This is a once in a generation opportunity, IMHO.
 #1567739  by JeffK

The Inky quoted Leslie Richards as saying the NHSL extension would also be a beneficiary.

Of course at the same time they also published yet another letter from someone who didn’t understand why they can’t just run RRD trains to the Mall ...
 #1568246  by PHLSpecial

JeffK wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:33 am The Inky quoted Leslie Richards as saying the NHSL extension would also be a beneficiary.

Of course at the same time they also published yet another letter from someone who didn’t understand why they can’t just run RRD trains to the Mall ...
Is cost the main reason why you can't run RR trains to the mall? I would think RR trains would provide more connections than the NHSL.
 #1568341  by JeffK

PHLSpecial wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:23 am Is cost the main reason why you can't run RR trains to the mall? I would think RR trains would provide more connections than the NHSL.
It’s a combination of cost, practicality, and operational models.

Yes, I agree 100% that a one-seat ride would be preferable, but using the RRD would have a lot more downsides:

• RRD is heavy rail while the NHSL/P&W is an interurban line at its core. Most of the extension (yes, spelled correctly 🤓) will be elevated. It’s already a challenge to shoehorn the planned trestles into existing development. An RRD option would force them to be larger and more disruptive. The line would also need overhead catenary rather than third rail, again more visually disruptive as well as more expensive.

• Because some RRD routes share tracks with freight service, the whole network is subject to more operational rules than the NHSL. Each train would require both an engineer and conductor which increases labor costs.

• The NHSL's operating model is to provide (comparatively) frequent service throughout the day using single- or two-car consists. That’s better suited to the needs of suburban retail and light-office complexes than the RRD practice of larger trains carrying more people to denser urban areas, but less often. Of course the big unknown here is how RRD service might/will change post-pandemic.

For some reason nobody seems to be interested in addressing the transfer at 69th Street. I’ll grant that it's been that way for over 100 years and thousands do it every day, but I wonder why there isn’t some long-term plan to make it more convenient. Maybe if more funding flows to transit long term (and a BIG "if") passenger flow through the terminal could be streamlined and given more protection from the elements ...?
Last edited by JeffK on Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1568357  by R36 Combine Coach

JeffK wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:14 am FRA requires two-car consists at all times as a matter of safety.
Cynwyd operates single cars, as does NJT's Dinky from time to time. Many photos of single unit Silverliners
in off-peak service over the years.
 #1568375  by JeffK

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:01 pm
JeffK wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:14 am IIRC FRA requires two-car consists at all times as a matter of safety.
Cynwyd operates single cars, as does NJT's Dinky from time to time. Many photos of single unit Silverliners in off-peak service over the years.
Thanks for refreshing my brain. I deleted that part of the original post.
 #1568514  by PHLSpecial

rcthompson04 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:43 am If I had to guess the most likely things are equipment related and maybe some Regional Rail extensions.
One crazy idea is making an airport loop that goes under i95 and connect back to the airport line near Eastwick. Both Septa and Amtrak can benefit from the loop I would think?
It would be ideal if Amtrak or Septa connected to the airport from the South as well using some existing rail and new rail that goes through the airport business complex