• Newport VT traffic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by nydepot

What is the current status of traffic in Newport VT? How often/which days is CP running to Newport? Same with WACR.

Secondly, does WACR traffic run the full length north & south, or is it divided up, like St. Johnsbury to Newport and STJ south, etc.? Thanks.
  by csx2039

Not much, line didn’t have much to begin with but lost nearly everything, they run mwf on duty at 0700 out of Newport for practically only Poulin grain traffic. 4-5 cars and maybe a straggler for the wacr. Wacr had been running every other day directions for local traffic od one day at NP, next day at WRJ at 0900. Some on this list have been unrealistically optimistic about future prospects but I can personally tell you the future is dark... get your picks while you can :(
  by NHV 669

WACR is indeed up one day, down the next at present. As noted above, mostly for local traffic at Barnet/Lyndonville/Orleans. They're still getting some bridge traffic cars here and there, but mostly small trains under 10 cars as of late.
  by nydepot

Thank you, csx2039 and Casey.
  by nydepot

Which railroad services the former QC line north of town? Google Sat. shows cars on it.
  by NHV 669

CP. That would be Columbia Forest Products at the end of the line.
  by nydepot

What are the radio freq. for CP on the Newport line? Thanks.
  by NHV 669

searching old posts elsewhere, i got 161.175, and that's from a guy who is local to Richford. I can shoot him a message if that doesn't work.
  by rr503

So sorry for bumping this -- if I'm understanding the above posts correctly, the CP operation is a M/W/F turn from Newport to Farnham, right? If so, what time do they usually return? Thanks so much.
  by NHV 669

Generally in the afternoon, F18 hit the yard Friday at 1700, which might be a bit later than normal.
  by rr503

Got it. Thanks so much for the info (and for your reply in the other thread)!
  by NHV 669

Some OMYA hoppers went north on WJNP last night, and departed Newport this morning. If these are indeed loads, where might they possibly be headed?
  by Fritz

Casey,
I have heard that these are cars coming out of storage in St. Johnsbury, but that is only second-hand (but from a very reliable source).
Best,
Fritz
  by NHV 669

Fritz, these cars were shot on the headpin at the bridge leaving WRJ north, so they weren't St. J cars. There were four with ACF marks, three with the distinct blue stripes still visible.
  by Fritz

Casey,
Maybe it's both then. WACR has been moving loaded talc cars north for a bit over a year now. They come off the GMRC in Bellows Falls. I've seen as many as 5 in one train (either loaded going north or empty going south). But those haven't been OMYA cars, at least in the past.
Best,
Fritz