Railroad Forums 

• Johns Hopkins study on speeding up train service misses the MARC.

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1562655  by STrRedWolf

Johns Hopkins study details how faster train service would boost Baltimore economy

I'm not going to quote from the article. Plus, I'm not going to quote to the linked analysis.

Because the damn thing confuses two tunnels, doesn't get into infrastructure issues, and doesn't even look at other studies that influence the issue they're looking at. And just the first one pissed me off. The study is invalid for getting it's facts wrong.
 #1562761  by electricron

I guess those doctorate degrees does not make them smart. Well, maybe they are just too lazy to look up all the facts before coming to a conclusion and publishing a paper.
Was it the professor or the post graduate student doing all the work?

Wait a few years and you will find others posting links to this (in your opinion) faulty study to boost their arguments in future debates. It is enough to turn my stomach inside out.

Just because academia submits a study with conclusions which eventually gets published, that does not make what they concluded the truth. Always seek second opinions, hopefully contrary ones, before making your own opinion. Lesson learned?
 #1562779  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:22 am Johns Hopkins study details how faster train service would boost Baltimore economy

I'm not going to quote from the article. Plus, I'm not going to quote to the linked analysis.

Because the damn thing confuses two tunnels, doesn't get into infrastructure issues, and doesn't even look at other studies that influence the issue they're looking at. And just the first one pissed me off. The study is invalid for getting it's facts wrong.
I was kinda amused, as I was typing a response pointing out it's flaws , and saw you already did.
I don't understand how they couldn't take 5 minutes to google the existing MDOT expanded service plans, or the B & P replacement, but could look up population density, and breakdown of current rider destinations and origin.
On the bright side, at least it didn't say "we can build a maglev to do this".
 #1562796  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:27 pm I was kinda amused, as I was typing a response pointing out it's flaws , and saw you already did.
I don't understand how they couldn't take 5 minutes to google the existing MDOT expanded service plans, or the B & P replacement, but could look up population density, and breakdown of current rider destinations and origin.
Yeah. Full story about me tapping it out was that I came across it from my morning-in-bed trawl of web comics and news... and I read the first few paragraphs. "Wait, Howard Street Tunnel? That's no MARC line. That's... Ooooh that's going to be something I need a keyboard for if I'm right and... NNNGGGHHH Coffee. I'm pissed off now." So I got coffee, breakfast, and read the study... AND THEY *!)@#*)!@#()_!@#(_ SCREWED IT UP!!!. I wrote the three-point response on the college paper's site, keeping a steady tone.

Yeah, I took one for the team. The study's garbage.
 #1562835  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:45 pm
scratchyX1 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:27 pm I was kinda amused, as I was typing a response pointing out it's flaws , and saw you already did.
Yeah. Full story about me tapping it out was that I came across it from my morning-in-bed trawl of web comics and news... and I read the first few paragraphs. "Wait, Howard Street Tunnel? That's no MARC line. That's... Ooooh that's going to be something I need a keyboard for if I'm right and... NNNGGGHHH Coffee. I'm pissed off now." So I got coffee, breakfast, and read the study... AND THEY *!)@#*)!@#()_!@#(_ SCREWED IT UP!!!. I wrote the three-point response on the college paper's site, keeping a steady tone.

Yeah, I took one for the team. The study's garbage.
I almost left as a comment a clip from UHF
"stuppiiiiddddd!"

I really don't get how one could get all those data points, but (seemingly) fail a basic spot check.
And you are right, We are going to be hearing about this for years to come.