Railroad Forums 

• New Carrollton, MD (NCR) Second Platform

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1562286  by STrRedWolf

TheOneKEA wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:50 pm If there were enough space to do so I could see Odenton being equipped with four platforms on all tracks and timetabled for express services that skip every other intermediate stop except for BWI Marshall. I don't think the space requirements for an elevator-equipped footbridge would be bad enough to reduce the available parking, especially since there are long-term plans to build a multi-day parking garage at the station.
To four-track with an express platform and reuse the tunnel, you have to move the northbound platform north and essentially take out about 10-12 handicapped parking spaces.

I would lump the footbridge/elevators to when the parking garage goes in.
Once the NEC is widened to four tracks between FULTON and GROVE, I see no reason why the four-tracking should not be planned for a further extension south to HANSON. It would allow for all Amtrak services to use the center pair of tracks, and all of the MARC services (and the occasional CSX freight on/off the Pope's Creek Sub at Bowie) to use the outer pair of tracks.

The new interlocking will absolutely solve the problems you've identified and experienced with pathing MARC and Amtrak on the existing three tracks, but if/when the fourth track is added through the station, it won't need a platform - no northbound Amtrak service would ever need to stop there in service, and the interlocking will have to be adjusted anyway since the Magruder branch won't be widened for at least the next 20 years.
Actually, no. MARC and Amtrak would run express service. Amtrak would run WAS-NCR-BWI-BAL like it always would. MARC would run WAS-NCR-ODN-BWI-BAL on the same track. It would run all-stop local on the outer tracks.

Granted, HANSON will help with the bottleneck at the station and get Acellas and LD's that don't stop there through. But I would look at a pocket track 4 between HANSON and CARROL as a stepping stone to full four-tracking.
 #1562322  by TheOneKEA

STrRedWolf wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:00 pm
TheOneKEA wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:50 pm If there were enough space to do so I could see Odenton being equipped with four platforms on all tracks and timetabled for express services that skip every other intermediate stop except for BWI Marshall. I don't think the space requirements for an elevator-equipped footbridge would be bad enough to reduce the available parking, especially since there are long-term plans to build a multi-day parking garage at the station.
To four-track with an express platform and reuse the tunnel, you have to move the northbound platform north and essentially take out about 10-12 handicapped parking spaces.

I would lump the footbridge/elevators to when the parking garage goes in.
I was under the impression that the parking garage would be built on the north side of MD 175, a long way from the platforms. If that is indeed the case I would expect the construction of each to be done separately to minimize disruption to the operation of the station.
STrRedWolf wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:00 pm
TheOneKEA wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:50 pm Once the NEC is widened to four tracks between FULTON and GROVE, I see no reason why the four-tracking should not be planned for a further extension south to HANSON. It would allow for all Amtrak services to use the center pair of tracks, and all of the MARC services (and the occasional CSX freight on/off the Pope's Creek Sub at Bowie) to use the outer pair of tracks.

The new interlocking will absolutely solve the problems you've identified and experienced with pathing MARC and Amtrak on the existing three tracks, but if/when the fourth track is added through the station, it won't need a platform - no northbound Amtrak service would ever need to stop there in service, and the interlocking will have to be adjusted anyway since the Magruder branch won't be widened for at least the next 20 years.
Actually, no. MARC and Amtrak would run express service. Amtrak would run WAS-NCR-BWI-BAL like it always would. MARC would run WAS-NCR-ODN-BWI-BAL on the same track. It would run all-stop local on the outer tracks.

Granted, HANSON will help with the bottleneck at the station and get Acellas and LD's that don't stop there through. But I would look at a pocket track 4 between HANSON and CARROL as a stepping stone to full four-tracking.
Really? I had no idea that MARC has/had long-term plans to run an express service too! I suspect that it would be very popular, especially for anyone going the full distance between Union and Penn Stations.
 #1562323  by STrRedWolf

TheOneKEA wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:15 am I was under the impression that the parking garage would be built on the north side of MD 175, a long way from the platforms. If that is indeed the case I would expect the construction of each to be done separately to minimize disruption to the operation of the station.
I've seen (at Odenton, no less, since it's my go-to station) plans to build it south of MD 175.
Really? I had no idea that MARC has/had long-term plans to run an express service too! I suspect that it would be very popular, especially for anyone going the full distance between Union and Penn Stations.
I've seen it in a 2007 expansion presentation and I think Amtrak's on board with it as they had reported (I think an EIS?) that they were interested in four-tracking and express-platform at Odenton.
 #1562363  by west point

MARC super expresses actually do Amtrak a favor. First they are the fastest commuter operation in the US going 125 pulled by electric motors. ( Diesels too slow unless double headed Siemens can be used in the future ? ) By taking the short haul passengers MARC allow the longer distance NEC Amtrak to have seats filled for an average longer distances with the obvious revenue being higher.
 #1562421  by STrRedWolf

west point wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:41 pm MARC super expresses actually do Amtrak a favor. First they are the fastest commuter operation in the US going 125 pulled by electric motors. ( Diesels too slow unless double headed Siemens can be used in the future ? ) By taking the short haul passengers MARC allow the longer distance NEC Amtrak to have seats filled for an average longer distances with the obvious revenue being higher.
What's better, a shotgun express (WAS-BAL) or dead-heading for another south-bound run?

Yeah, once given some capacity, I can easily see proper express service on the heavy use stations (WAS-NCR-ODN-BWI-BAL). I can't see Odenton be skipped on an express for that reason.