Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1560768  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

A transportation worker from New York who called out sick in order to take part in the mob that stormed the Capitol in Washington D.C. on Wednesday has been suspended from his job with MTA Metro-North.

Will Pepe who worked at Metro-North's Brewster rail yard in upstate New York is now being investigated by the FBI who are looking into what role he played during the rally.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -sick.html
Last edited by GirlOnTheTrain on Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added fair use, fixed title
 #1560820  by NH2060

Well not necessarily. If there’s footage of him breaking windows, vandalizing, etc. he could be looking at 10 years in the slammer. That guy from Arkansas who took that selfie inside Nancy Pelosi’s office was arrested just for trespassing.

But if he was simply there as “part of the crowd” who made their way inside and didn’t enter any offices or vandalize anything then very likely nothing will happen to him. Quite a few people were literally let inside by the Capitol police since they were so overwhelmed and the crowd behind them was large enough that many others would never have known about any or what barricades being broken down if it weren’t for the news reports later on. So any “breaking and entering” charges would be hard to prove. Why the National Guard wasn’t deployed ahead of time knowing the nature of the protest is beyond me 🤷‍♂️

But calling out “sick” to... not be sick? Not the smartest idea :P if I was a commuter I’m not so sure I would want him as an employee of the company that runs the trains that I depend on.
 #1560856  by Backshophoss

While not diving into politics here,that image should be more than needed to prove "breaking and entering" charges, He is DONE as for employment by MN
DC operates as non-entity city under federal control so the "Chain of Command" is somewhat contorted.
 #1560880  by GirlOnTheTrain

Have heard it wasn't even regular sick leave he was abusing but FMLA.

Thanks for making all 70-something thousand MTA employees across all agencies look bad.
 #1560907  by Ridgefielder

NH2060 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:28 pmBut calling out “sick” to... not be sick? Not the smartest idea :P if I was a commuter I’m not so sure I would want him as an employee of the company that runs the trains that I depend on.
I am a commuter. The extra-curricular activities of random railroad employees-- so long as they don't result in being impaired at the throttle or the dispatcher's desk-- are nowhere at all on my list of concerns. Just keep to schedule and don't run M3's on the Crestwood express and I'm happy. :wink: :-D
 #1560957  by DogBert

He didn't "just take a sick day". He was perfectly healthy and went to the capitol and participated in an insurrection.

What he did in there is a matter for legal authorities to deal with. For the MTA though, he abused the sick day policy. That should be a fire-able offense. It is a very cut and dry case of abusing benefits, and he took photos of myself there (probably for social media). It was a self inflicted wound. He's got no one to blame but himself.

Any person with that questionable of judgement probably shouldn't work for a transportation agency where sound judgement and safety standards are paramount.
 #1561072  by GirlOnTheTrain

northpit wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:09 am gee whiz calm down he took a sick day/ sometimes when you work for a rail road thats all you have
Rule #1 if you're booking off sick and you aren't really sick - don't go to an insurrection at the capitol, and especially don't get caught on camera where management and coworkers can easily ID you and bang you in.

I understand needing a mental health day, but this hardly qualifies.
 #1562583  by eolesen

Fact is the union will have to defend this guy and demand he get the same treatment that other employees have received for calling off sick for reasons other than sickness. Anything else opens the union up to a DFR case.
Last edited by GirlOnTheTrain on Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Newsflash, this ain't Fox News - it doesn't have to be fair and balanced when pruning a trainwreck of a thread. Everything after it hit the derail was deleted.
 #1562646  by GirlOnTheTrain

It's not a simple misuse of sick time. I would be willing to bet there is a clause in the employee handbook about conducting yourself in a manner that would not bring adverse criticism or attention to the company whether on or off duty. Surest way to lose your job with the MTA? Get yourself a headline like Mr. Pepe.