Railroad Forums 

• New Haven Equipment Roster

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #824033  by Statkowski

In the mid-1960s the New Haven leased AT&SF stainless steel RPO cars. Unlike leased freight cars, these cars were never relettered while in New Haven service. However, like the leased lettered freight cars, these "AT&SF" cars were New Haven cars for the time being, and should be included in any passenger car list.
 #901080  by PRRGuy

I'm not 100% positive, but the Indiana Transportation Museum in Noblesville, Indiana has a Budd RPO buried in a line of stored cars location a couple miles north of the museum. Back in 2008, I was there helping restore a Monon caboose and one of the museum folks took us out to see the other unrestored cars. I do recall they said that the RPO came from "out east" somewhere. Also, the museum operates several former ATSF coaches that went to New Jersey for commuter service.

Ryan
 #901872  by Noel Weaver

The SS RPO's were leased from the Santa Fe most likely on a month to month basis after the Santa Fe lost most of their mail business and the New Haven still had quite a few RPO routes.
One of the first things that happened on the New Haven after the Penn Central takeover was the complete elimination of a bunch of RPO trains and the ones that remained all operated in and out of Penn Station, New York rather than Grand Central Terminal. The Santa Fe cars were for the most part replaced by former PRR RPO's. There were still a few former NHRR RPO's around as well. Many of the cuts came in the first week of Penn Central and most of them the first month, January, 1969.
Noel Weaver
 #1224132  by Clean Cab

Very complete and thorough list. The fact that many have not offered any corrections shows how well researched this list was.
 #1238438  by urrengr2003

It would be interesting to understand the management decisions as to why NH had a fleet of 14-4 Sleepers instead of the more common 10-6 variant found on most other roads.
 #1294654  by davidp

urrengr2003 wrote:It would be interesting to understand the management decisions as to why NH had a fleet of 14-4 Sleepers instead of the more common 10-6 variant found on most other roads.
Just a guess, but I would think that with the NH's major sleeper routes being Boston/Providence to New York and points south to Washington, the passenger mix had a high percentage of business travelers seeking single accomodation vs. couples or families wanting to share space.

Dave
 #1311370  by jmlaboda

Baggage-Buffet, 14-seat Parlor, 11-seat lounge, 1 DR., 2 Roomette
"COUNTY SERIES
10/1948
210 Kent County
211 Washington County
212 Ulster County
213 Tolland County
214 Fairfield County
215 Queens County
216 Litchfield County
217 Windham COunty
218 Hampshire County
219 Bronx County
There is a problem with the passenger car roster. The problem here is simple... six of these cars were rebuilt within the first couple years of service into buffet lounge - 3 Drawing Room - 2 Roomette cars with the baggage section removed. Cars that were rebuilt were as follows...

NH 204 Essex County
NH 205 Plymouth County
NH 206 Putnam County
NH 207 New London County
NH 208 Berkshire County
NH 209 Kings County

13 other cars from this series had their lounge seating changed from 31-seats to 11-seats with 14 parlor seats replacing the original lounge seating. All of this was done in the first few years after these cars were built by PS. Their rebuilding was documented in September/October 1992 Diesel Era magazine.
 #1417868  by Statkowski

DocJohn wrote:Besides outside appearances and different MU connections, what were other differences between H16-44s placed in service in 1951 (e.g., 594 & 596) and those placed in service in 1956 (e.g., 1611)? Did the later use GE electrica equipment instead of Westinghouse?

DocJohn
Going back over old entries, I noted that nobody answered the questions.

The DERS-3 series of H-16-44s (590-599) were designed for long-end-first operation and used Westinghouse electricals. They could only M.U. with each other.

The DERS-5 series (1600-1614) were designed for short-end-first and used GE electricals. They could M.U. with the DERS-4 (GP9) and DERS-6 (RS-11), and each other, plus, I suppose, with all the other engines having now-universal M.U. jumper connections (FL9, SW1200, C-425, U-25B). However, if a DERS-5 crapped out while hooked up to other engines, it would shut down the entire lot. Once isolated, the others could be restarted to continue the run.

Although the 1600-series engines lost their steam generators early on, they retained the steam pipe connections so that they could be used as second units in passenger trains.
 #1559431  by JimBoylan

Does the Roster mentioned in the title of this topic still exist? How can it be found?
I'm wondering if there was a New Haven electric loco numbered 0211, box cab with 2 4 wheel trucks.
 #1560223  by jamoldover

I'm not sure if the specific roster mentioned still exists (I can't find any links to it), but there's a good set of roster information for the New Haven at the Alphabet Route web site (http://www.alphabetroute.com/nynhh/). Based on the electric locomotive roster posted there (along with my copy of the bible when it comes to New Haven locomotives, Jack Swanberg's New Haven Power), 0211 was a class EY-2 locomotive built by Baldwin/Westinghouse in 1911.

Joshua