Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1558147  by newkirk

Steam - Diesel - MU - Push pull etc. No particular decade, as long as it's LIRR. Don't be shy, join me !

"Jumping At The Woodside" (apologies to the late great Count Basie)

Steve Zabel collection (October 1964)

Collection of Bill Mangahas (January 1969)

Steve Zabel collection

Photo: Bill Mangahas (May 1995) What's the reason for the two GP-38's ?
 #1558169  by Kelly&Kelly

Yes, as Backshop says, depending on the time of day, two GP38's coming around from the morning LIC trains to Morris Park for servicing. Will returning for the afternoon trains.
 #1558170  by Teutobergerwald

I thought they'd take the Lower Montauk for that servicing run to Morris Park??? Love that picture of those two.
 #1558172  by Backshophoss

Not all T&E crews were qualified on the lower montauk, the wye move out of LIC yard via Hunterspoint station stuck you in the middle of Harold,so you need to clear up well east of the limits on the mainline
Harold would line up for the montauk cutoff,then reverse onto the "C" Secondary at Bliss to get back to LIC yard..
OF course,that option is now gone for ESA
 #1558193  by gamer4616

Backshophoss wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:15 pm Not all T&E crews were qualified on the lower montauk
The lower Montauk was Zone C territory in 1995? I don't see why crews wouldn't have been qualified to operate over there. The lower Montauk was Zone C when I qualified. Since it was designated NYAR territory, it has been classified as Zone D territory. Crews are qualified on Zones A,C,D these days. That was different in 1995?

Zone A - HAROLD/Penn Station
Zone C - LIRR Territory, including West Side Yard
Zone D - NYAR Secondary / C Secondary
 #1558194  by newkirk

Thanking all for your answer to the two GP-38's

All photos: Bill Mangahas..........Oyster Bay yard (February 1984)

If my memory serves me correct, this should be Locust Valley. (September 1986)

Returning from a fan trip in the Nutmeg State, push-pull set on the Hell gate approach. (October 16, 1993)
 #1558222  by RGlueck

Last image is opening day at new Floral Park station. The wreath was ordered by Tom Goodfellow for the first passenger train to use the station, so reporters, photographers, television, you name it are in attendance. A few minutes before the first passenger train, a freight came through and carried the whole business off to Holban Yard.
True story.
 #1558229  by Pensyfan19

Mainly taken within the past year or two. 2019 and 2020 for the most part.
 #1558232  by upton

What is the Scoop on the Scoot? Lately the Scoot from Ronkonkoma to Greenport has two(2) yes two DE's totaling 6400 HP's to move 2 passenger cars with about 10 people on board. And yet the LIRR wants to increase the fare. Attached is one of my photos that I took in the summer of 1974 in Ronkonkoma with all the HP's that were needed for the Scoot. Those units were leased from Precision National as well as BAR.
Attachments:
SCAN0082 (2).JPG
SCAN0082 (2).JPG (280.84 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
 #1558235  by D Alex

Those Alcos at the top (PA's? FA's? I'm not that up on Alcos...)-do they have shortened rooflines, or where they always lower than the switcher on the left is?
 #1558244  by photobug56

I'm guessing that if they have 2 DE's to move, what, one or 2 C3's, that the reliability of the DE's is so poor that they assign 2 to a small train. Judging from the non-stop most days of 'equipment failure' messages, I might be right.