Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1554332  by eolesen

It's the North Western. ;)

Apparently it was a one-time exception and done with some advance planning.

I've asked someone closer to UP Operations to clarify...

I'm starting to question weight as a limiting factor. The F59PHI and MP36 are the same weight @ 265K and the PHI's have been operating without any obvious restrictions.

The SD70Ace is over 400K, and I know they've operated on all the lines for business trains and OLS specials.

I know the business trains are limited to the old intercity platforms 4-5-6-7, so perhaps the weight limit is the puzzle switches at Lake Street?
 #1554369  by F40CFan

If I remember correctly, I thought it was on some of the bridges. It was a while ago and I could be wrong. They probably just don't want the MPs running on their railroad.
 #1554421  by eolesen

Apparently I had bad info on the weight of the MP's, they're closer to 295K and thats a higher axle loading than the SD70Ace.

And thats the deal. The special that ran this week was speed restricted to 10mph in places because of the MP36.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1555833  by Metra210

For those who have not heard:
Back in town are the final F40Ms, 195 and 213. With that said, this rebuild program is now officially over. I am curious about which locomotives Metra may consider rebuilding next. Any and all plans will undoubtedly be delayed as a result of this pandemic.
 #1555847  by Pensyfan19

Metra210 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:51 am For those who have not heard:
Back in town are the final F40Ms, 195 and 213. With that said, this rebuild program is now officially over. I am curious about which locomotives Metra may consider rebuilding next. Any and all plans will undoubtedly be delayed as a result of this pandemic.
Any word on the MACs? I heard they wouldn't be ready until August 2021. Out of curiosity, what about the (now two) remaining F40Cs? Guessing they're still backup locomotives?
 #1555891  by Metra210

Pensyfan19 wrote:
Any word on the MACs? I heard they wouldn't be ready until August 2021. Out of curiosity, what about the (now two) remaining F40Cs? Guessing they're still backup locomotives?
Supposedly, as of now, the MACs will arrive on time. The future of the F40Cs is still questionable. Metra hasn't put any money into rehabbing them. Last I heard, they, along with 215, are being used as parts sources, so they may never run again.
 #1555932  by metraRI

100-149 are next to be rehabbed in house. The project bid has already been awarded, I suspect it will start early next year.
 #1557205  by Metra210

metraRI wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:34 pm
100-149 are next to be rehabbed in house. The project bid has already been awarded, I suspect it will start early next year.
Oh okay. That's very good news! Thanks for the update!
 #1557308  by F40CFan

Saw an interesting lash-up on MDW 2235(20). A F59PHI (didn't get the number in the dark) leading F59PH 95.
 #1557532  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed:

BNSF 1311(27)

It looks as if METRA is in the restaurant delivery business nowadays. The F-40W handling the train is liveried out with a Grub Hub billboard.

"Gotta getta buck" where you can in these hard times.
 #1557656  by justalurker66

I don't keep track of how often Metra's offer of wrapping an engine or car has been taken advantage of. I was simply noting that engine wraps have been available (for a fee) for several years. It is good to see companies using Metra for advertising. GrubHub is one of the companies who can benefit from the additional exposure to the marketplace as more people stay at home, using home delivery to avoid contact with other people as much as possible.