Railroad Forums 

• Joe Biden political ad features Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1550863  by mtuandrew

west point wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:27 pm Although personally support ATL - CLT - RGH believe RGH - Richmond has more potential with the connection that will be available to / from the NEC. The "S" line could be completed by end of 4 yers that would give HrSR between RGH - Petersburg and 70 MPH on to wash. Not bad as one small step for quicker travel ?
If Joe is elected, this is a big opportunity to make political hay (not to mention, make a durable transportation corridor between some fast-growing, important cities.) Friendly governors, a friendly legislature in Virginia, a mostly government-owned corridor (everything north of Norlina, NC) with an owner (CSX) willing to wheel and deal on the remainder, and a growing market that’s just out of comfortable driving distance. With some forethought, he could have Gov. Cooper include the Wilmington extension in the plans.

Not sure who Joe will put forward as a potential SecTrans if elected. Garcetti comes to mind, whether or not I agree fully with him.
 #1550865  by JoeG

One thing about Biden is that he commuted from WAS to WIL for years and the Wilmington station is now named for him. So he would have Amtrak in his consciousness more than most politicians.

As for party platforms, do not pay much attention to what they say. The 1932 Democratic platform accused Hoover of being a spendthrift and said that if FDR won he would reduce government expenditures and balance the budget. If anyone cares I will dig up the document but right now I am too lazy unless there is an interest.

I am hoping that Biden's connection to Amtrak will have a payoff if he wins. Amtrak has not, however fared well in recent decades no matter which party was in power.
 #1550870  by David Benton

I do feel it is easy to feel nothing has been achieved, especially over a period of years. Regardless of political persuasion. Of course anyone with the slightest bit of ambition , will feel the same, sometimes it takes someone else to say , hey , you really have achieved something.
One political party I follow here was sort of taking the criticism they had achieved nothing. Then they stopped to think about what they had achieved, and came back out saying , wait a minute , we've actually done pretty well.
Of course , politicians will always promise the earth , and rarely deliver the lot. but if they didnt , they would be accused of having no policy or vision.
 #1550938  by David Benton

Is Joe Biden the highest ranking official/politician in the world, to travel by regular train? I think he just might be, in the modern era
Thread in the Worldwide forum to uncover others Worldwide, but I can't think of any .
viewtopic.php?f=149&t=172033&p=1550937#p1550937
 #1550942  by mtuandrew

Biden regularly took Amtrak as a Senator. However, he stopped using Amtrak (excepting the inaugural special from Wilmington to Washington) when he became Vice President, David. Since then I’m not aware of him taking train trips, though he may have had opportunity to ride PVs.

There might be some sitting cabinet ministers or secretaries who take their countries’ rail, especially where there’s a more robust system than in America.
 #1550956  by MACTRAXX

bostontrainguy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:56 am I would think that in this time of killer drones and suicidal terrorists a President or other high ranking official traveling in a rail car would be much more vulnerable than in an aircraft.
...unless POTUS is riding in a 285,000 pound railcar fortress such
as the former presidential observation car "Ferdinand Magellan"...

I do agree - the need for speed in these modern times requires the use
of air travel. Other than whistle stop campaigns or tours, of course...
MACTRAXX
 #1550957  by bostontrainguy

MACTRAXX wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:45 am
bostontrainguy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:56 am I would think that in this time of killer drones and suicidal terrorists a President or other high ranking official traveling in a rail car would be much more vulnerable than in an aircraft.
...unless POTUS is riding in a 285,000 pound railcar fortress such
as the former presidential observation car "Ferdinand Magellan"...
Well you just wait until the train is on a high bridge . . .
 #1551008  by JoeG

If I remember correctly Magellan got damaged or destroyed in a fire at the museum it was at. I bet Mr Kim would be open to a deal for an armored train.
 #1551059  by justalurker66

David Benton wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:54 amIs Joe Biden the highest ranking official/politician in the world, to travel by regular train?
The easy definition would be "regular" train ... which I assume would be a normal passenger run (not a charter or special car). Where we can get into the weeds is how to rank officials. In order of succession would be a good start. And then one has to decide how many years back to look.

If Mr Biden never rode as Vice President it may be a speaker of the house or further down the succession to find the highest ranking American. Secretary of Transportation is 14th in line. Once that person is identified going worldwide would be the next step (unless a world leader easily sets the bar high).
 #1551073  by David Benton

justalurker66 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:51 pm
David Benton wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:54 amIs Joe Biden the highest ranking official/politician in the world, to travel by regular train?
The easy definition would be "regular" train ... which I assume would be a normal passenger run (not a charter or special car). Where we can get into the weeds is how to rank officials. In order of succession would be a good start. And then one has to decide how many years back to look.

If Mr Biden never rode as Vice President it may be a speaker of the house or further down the succession to find the highest ranking American. Secretary of Transportation is 14th in line. Once that person is identified going worldwide would be the next step (unless a world leader easily sets the bar high).
I'm pretty sure he took one trip on the Acela as Vice President, I remember the photo in Trains magazine . Wether it was a regular run is the question. I'm thinking it was to honor an Amtrak worker that had served him in the past , so maybe a special run.