• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nydepot

I saw that on video years ago

"The Sinking of the 'Scharnhorst'"
BR&P wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:02 pm
Trainman14 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:47 pm Nothing new going on?
I miss Scharnhorst!
  by charlie6017

BR&P wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:02 pm
Trainman14 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:47 pm Nothing new going on?
I miss Scharnhorst!
🤣🤣🤣
  by BR&P

We butted heads on here a few times but he was a decent guy, talked to him via PM several times when he moved to the Land Of The Free out in Oklahoma. I believe he moved back to these parts but hasn't renewed his interest in FGLK. Hey dude, if you're lurking, say hello!
  by CPSmith

FGLK crews out working today. This view is from School St. looking to the west. Notice anything missing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by BR&P

Filled in the ditch? Or shortened up the Dead Track?

Getting ready to turn it into a highway.
  by CPSmith

Nope. The track 1 crossover switch has been removed. The other crossover switch (still spiked) remains.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by CPSmith

**sigh** OK. Well. It's still gone.
Last edited by CPSmith on Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by CPSmith

Since my memory appears to be faulty - "damn, what DID I do with those brains cells, anyway …"

On a different note, here's the top of the hill looking west from Maple Ave. I hope they filled in the "locomotive inspection pit" - that would be a rough tumble!
  by BR&P

I guess the days of the Insulator having 6 or 7 hoppers, plus a boxcar or two, on hand at once are not coming back. From a railfan perspective I wish that line had the traffic it did 40 years ago. From a business point of view, I'm surprised anything west of Manchester is still in place.
  by C2629

I guess I dont have to worry about anybody beating my record of putting 7 cars on the ground while shoving up to the insulator plant.
  by BR&P

C2629 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:24 pm I guess I dont have to worry about anybody beating my record of putting 7 cars on the ground while shoving up to the insulator plant.
Geez, first I have to set CP Smith straight, now it's you! :wink: There might have been 7 cars in the cut, but only 5 derailed. 10PM, Wednesday December 10, 1980. Had to get the Victor Highway Department out with a payloader to shove the un-derailed cars west of Maple Avenue to allow auto traffic to move. The final car was rerailed 2:10PM Friday the 12th. Somewhere I have pics, I'll add those to my list of things to find, scan and post. Cause was wide gauge due to deteriorated ties.
  by CPSmith

5 or 7 - I think you have the ONCT record regardless. My high was 2.
  by BR&P

CPSmith wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:27 pm 5 or 7 - I think you have the ONCT record regardless. My high was 2.
I agree. Although as the years went by, the trains grew shorter. Hard to beat 5 when many of the trains were 2 or 3 at a time. :wink: