Railroad Forums 

• HBLRT going west?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#935838  by HBLR

Hmm, perhaps that could be a next step.

Anyways back to 440 station. Will there be tail track area or will the bumper be right near the end of the platform? I know with 8th street they left that extension option open by having a very long double tail track.
 #1022781  by JPhurst

Jersey City is touting it's Bayfront development. The plan relies upon extension of the light rail west.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.s ... s_for.html

Here's the website for the proposed development.

http://www.bayfrontjerseycity.com/

Looks like a great plan, but plenty of things look great on paper. I live in the Liberty Harbor redevelopment plan, and while we are happy where we live, the development has stalled and it will be a lonnnng time before the vision is completed. And Liberty Harbor is in downtown Jersey City with access not only to light rail but PATH and ferries in walking distance. I would love to see other developments like this take off, but I suspect it will be a while before they do.
 #1029375  by korbermeister

Steve F45 wrote:why doesn't NJT relax with the hudson part of the name and focus on the bergen part that seems to just fall to the waist side. What is the status of the northern branch today?
Why don't the NIMBYS hindering the extension of HBLRT give it a rest? Don't blame NJT for expanding their options in the face of northern branch oppositon.
 #1029378  by korbermeister

Caboose wrote:There is pretty good bus service to Meadowlands from Manhattan, but there is no route from Hoboken for example. And the train from Hoboken only runs game days. I don't believe there is even a single bus route the runs to Meadowlands from Tonnelle Avenue or Bergenline station, which is a MAJOR oversight. If you take the HBLR north, you have to get off, take a bus route south, and then wait, and take ANOTHER route to Meadowlands. If HBLR won't go to Meadowlands, there should at least be a route that runs there from the stations.
i remember in the late '80s taking a bus to port authority in order to get to the meadowlands for a RU football game. I always thought that that was odd...
 #1029379  by korbermeister

HBLR wrote:That mall makes my eyes bleed. I'll stick to newport.
newport isn't exactly a visual feast from the outside either; in fact if you could see newport mall from the turnpike i bet most would ignore it, seeing as the architecture is unforgettable. "american dream" OTOH is definitely NOT forgettable.
 #1048955  by 25Hz

I was wondering when they were going to do that.

As for the mall, i agree, but its also an older generation of commercial architecture. Bit off topic, but a few hours can be lost exploring deadmalls.com.
 #1536799  by MaRoFu

Just thought I’d revive this thread, as the Bayfront extension finally seems to be advancing towards construction.

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/bayonne/s ... g-bayfront

Right now the project is in the preliminary engineering phase, and I’ve heard that some minor construction has already begun. Looks like this will start right after the remaining portion of the West Side Avenue Branch is rebuilt.
 #1536822  by Ken W2KB

MaRoFu wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:59 pm Just thought I’d revive this thread, as the Bayfront extension finally seems to be advancing towards construction.

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/bayonne/s ... g-bayfront

Right now the project is in the preliminary engineering phase, and I’ve heard that some minor construction has already begun. Looks like this will start right after the remaining portion of the West Side Avenue Branch is rebuilt.
Interesting that the news report is from a Bayonne related site though this has nothing to do with Bayonne, it is entirely in Jersey City, close to two miles north of Bayonne.
 #1537392  by lensovet

pumpers wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:27 pm That sewer line project that has some of the West Side Ave. branch out of commission is supposed to wrap up in Spring 2020, which starts in less than a week. https://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet ... ntId=19873
Anyone been keeping track of progress, and want to take bets on what "Spring" will actually mean?
JS
According to the detailed timeline linked to on the JCMUA projects page:
NJTransit continues work at Westside station and maintains a June 1, 2020 return to full service date for lightrail operations.
As with every construction project known to man, when they started doing the repairs, they discovered that the sewer main was in much worse shape than anticipated and therefore required additional remedial work.
 #1538068  by pumpers

June 1 is still Spring, so right on schedule!

We see if anyone is riding public transit again then though...
 #1538179  by lensovet

pumpers wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:52 am June 1 is still Spring, so right on schedule!

We see if anyone is riding public transit again then though...
ironically this entire situation actually makes it more likely for construction projects to finish on schedule due to reduced passenger volumes and disruptions by continuing it.