Railroad Forums 

• working on north jersey historic and current railroad map, need suggestions

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1527438  by ExCon90

kennj123 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:09 pm somebody pointed out Tenafly train station as one of the prettiest stations in NJ. I'll probably put it on my list, but I'm really interested in finding signage that identifies it as an Erie railroad station. here's a closeup of the windvane on the roof: https://goo.gl/maps/Mm7nzXPJ5jkwzTP28 . Does the ''E" and star mean its an Erie Station by any chance?
I think the E just means East. I have to say that's the most elaborate station (considering the size of the town) I ever saw on the Erie, but I never got a good look at the stations on the Northern Branch--does anyone know whether there's a backstory about the design of that station? Any wrought iron around the ticket window with NRRof NJ worked into it? The typical Erie station in North Jersey was about as basic as it got.
 #1527442  by CarterB

Of possible interest to you, might be the North Jersey Rapid Transit heavy rail interurban that ran from East Paterson to Suffern NY. PSE&G owns the right of way, which is now a trail along much of the route, particularly in Ramsey NJ parts of HoHoKus and Ridgewood.
 #1527478  by kennj123

ExCon90 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:55 pm
kennj123 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:09 pm somebody pointed out Tenafly train station as one of the prettiest stations in NJ. I'll probably put it on my list, but I'm really interested in finding signage that identifies it as an Erie railroad station. here's a closeup of the windvane on the roof: https://goo.gl/maps/Mm7nzXPJ5jkwzTP28 . Does the ''E" and star mean its an Erie Station by any chance?
I think the E just means East. I have to say that's the most elaborate station (considering the size of the town) I ever saw on the Erie, but I never got a good look at the stations on the Northern Branch--does anyone know whether there's a backstory about the design of that station? Any wrought iron around the ticket window with NRRof NJ worked into it? The typical Erie station in North Jersey was about as basic as it got.
I don't mean the E opposite the W, the next part up looks like the moving part of the wind vane and theres a stylized 'E" and star on it. I looked up Erie symbols and didn't see anything like it.
 #1527487  by R&DB

kennj123 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:42 pm
A couple more for you. I know you are primarily concerned with the North Jersey area but the South Jersey scene was interesting as well. You show one line between Camden and Atlantic City. There were actually 3:
The Camden and Atlantic
The Alantic City Railroad
The West Jersey and Seashore
The first two were nearly parallel, the WJ&S swung down through Milville. The ACRR and WJ&S also went to Ocean City, Wildwood and Cape May. The C&A also crossed the Delaware River on the Delair Bridge to join the (now) NEC. All 3 were later merged into the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore lines. The C&A line is the current NJT Atlantic City Line,
Last edited by R&DB on Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1527520  by kennj123

CarterB wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:40 pm Of possible interest to you, might be the North Jersey Rapid Transit heavy rail interurban that ran from East Paterson to Suffern NY. PSE&G owns the right of way, which is now a trail along much of the route, particularly in Ramsey NJ parts of HoHoKus and Ridgewood.
I'm very interested in it. I found a couple segments at Ramsey and marked them umder ghost-converted lines. Its odd how close it it to the Erie-Paterson-Ramapo line which I figure came first. I did some googling and couldn't find much about it. any idea what I should search for to find more info?
 #1527554  by ExCon90

Marty Feldner wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:33 am Just my take on it, but to me, it looks like there's a stylized arrowhead, and you're seeing the 'negative space' between it and the axis as an 'E'...
After another look at the photo I think that's right--I never saw anything but the circle-in-the-diamond used by the Erie.
 #1527572  by kennj123

R&DB wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:10 am
kennj123 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:42 pm
A couple more for you. I know you are primarily concerned with the North Jersey area but the South Jersey scene was interesting as well. You show one line between Camden and Atlantic City. There were actually 3:
The Camden and Atlantic
The Alantic City Railroad
The West Jersey and Seashore
The first two were nearly parallel, the WJ&S swung down through Milville. The ACRR and WJ&S also went to Ocean City, Wildwood and Cape May. The C&A also crossed the Delaware River on the Delair Bridge to join the (now) NEC. All 3 were later merged into the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore lines. The C&A line is the current NJT Atlantic City Line,
I thought about doing the south of New Jersey since you mentioned it, but I'd just as soon not at this point. maybe in the future. I put on CNJ South division becasue it heads north into Port Monmouth and Sandyhook which I know well. The only thing with South Jersey I might do is the route of the Blue Comet from north Jersey to Atlantic City since it was so famous and involves north Jersey
 #1528211  by MickD

The Paterson City Branch discontinuance
was the beginning of the end of NYS&W passenger service,
as well as for what would come later for Erie branch lines
in Northern NJ....e.g.Greenwood Lake,Newark & Caldwell Branches
The Meyner/Hughes years were not at all friendly to passenger rail operations
in Northern NJ..Demographics were shifting ,and state subsidized
operations were a long way off the map..The PC Branch was really a
foreshadow of things to come for commuter rail in Jersey for 30 years
Although you could suggest the same thing about The Erie's Orange Branch
years before..
 #1530869  by CarterB

Ogden Mine Railroad from Lake Hopatcong up to the Edison Mines in Edison in Sussex County. Later became part of CRNJ.
Even had some passenger service to take workers etc to the mines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogden_Mine_Railroad Much of the ROW is still visible and hikeable.
 #1531575  by snavely

How about the two Erie branches off the Greenwood Lake line- Orange Branch from just west of Forest Hill, Newark to Main St. West Orange and the Caldwell Branch, from Great Notch through Cedar Grove and Verona, then alongside Bloomfield Ave. to a junction with the Morristown & Erie in Caldwell.