Railroad Forums 

• Historical Discussion

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1522702  by phllax

If the Reading sold all railroad interests in 1976, and the PC out of commuter service as well, is there a reason why Reading and PC markings remained on the Silverliner fleet until the early 80's when Septa moved to the square red/white/blue logo? Did this have to do with not owning rolling stock until 1983?
 #1522726  by MACTRAXX

Phillax: That period you describe were the Conrail contract operation years...
April 1, 1976 to December 31, 1982 were the dates...

Silverliner Four cars delivered before April 1976 did include the PC and Reading heralds placed on the cars.
Some of the 100 series cars assigned to the RDG and the 380-399 PC cars were delivered after Conrail took
over both services in 1976 and had neither herald. All Silverliner Four cars had the round red SEPTA logo.

For some reason the Conrail herald was rarely used on any equipment in SEPTA service. I only remember
seeing one Silverliner Two car with the CR logo.

The first use of the SEPTA square logo was on the RDCs used for the "Fox Chase Rapid Transit Line" service
between Newtown and Fox Chase. After SEPTA took direct control of the Regional High Speed Lines (original
title of Regional Rail) in 1983 they placed the then-updated SEPTA logos on all RRD equipment covering up
(and not removing) the older SEPTA, PC and RDG heralds.

MACTRAXX
 #1522727  by mcgrath618

MACTRAXX wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:02 pm Phillax: That period you describe were the Conrail contract operation years...
April 1, 1976 to December 31, 1982 were the dates...

Silverliner Four cars delivered before April 1976 did include the PC and Reading heralds placed on the cars.
Some of the 100 series cars assigned to the RDG and the 380-399 PC cars were delivered after Conrail took
over both services in 1976 and had neither herald. All Silverliner Four cars had the round red SEPTA logo.

For some reason the Conrail herald was rarely used on any equipment in SEPTA service. I only remember
seeing one Silverliner Two car with the CR logo.

The first use of the SEPTA square logo was on the RDCs used for the "Fox Chase Rapid Transit Line" service
between Newtown and Fox Chase. After SEPTA took direct control of the Regional High Speed Lines (original
title of Regional Rail) in 1983 they placed the then-updated SEPTA logos on all RRD equipment covering up
(and not removing) the older SEPTA, PC and RDG heralds.

MACTRAXX
Have those heralds been removed, or are they still riding around on SLIVs?
 #1522730  by MACTRAXX

MCG: At one time (1983-1998) you could see the shapes of the older logos below the SEPTA square logo.

With the application of the red/blue window striping and new front end colors centering around 1999-2000
older logos covered over that Silverliner Four cars had were removed from the stainless steel...MACTRAXX
 #1530579  by Sean@Temple

When the City Hall Station was built, did they include the provision for the MFL to go through the mezzanine or was that retrofitted in afterwards?
 #1604531  by newkirk

I was scanning some old slides from my collection and the ones I'm posting come from the A.L.R. collection. Does anyone know what name belongs to the initials A.L.R.?
Thanks in advance for any help

Is this the Philadelphia & Western's 69th St facilities ?

Route 37 July 1946 - Is this street car in the PRT colors ?

Can anyone identify this station ?

PST #69 at Llanerch

PSTCo ?

Slide marked as "Westchester". It looks like the track continued with a switch

I need an ID on this station. The year may be 1941
 #1604540  by MACTRAXX

BM - From the pictures you posted I will mention:
1-I believe you are correct - Upper Darby P&W
2-I would like to learn more about this location...
3-Bowling Green at the east end of the single track Media street running...
Late 1960s/early 1970s is a time period judging by the vehicles in the photo...
4-Llanerch or Upper Darby near the 69th Street Terminal...
6-West Chester (two separate word title) is a possibility here - The sharp 90 degree turn with track end and
the classic cutout PENNA US 202 shield route sign are noticeable - The keystone cutout PA route marker is
unfortunately not readable on my device...
7-This looks like Drexel Junction (where the Media and Sharon Hill Lines meet) to me...
These ALR photos are classic early color pictures...Thanks for sharing these...MACTRAXX
 #1604579  by newkirk

Thank you MACHTRXX for your assistance.

On Photo #2 - is that car in the PRT colors ? I know PTC was green and cream.
Here's another photo of Rte. 37 "Chester Line' written on slide mount.
Can you tell me anything about this location and route ?

#1604596  by ExCon90

As to both photos, for some years including the 1940's double-end cars were painted as shown, so that as far as the passengers were concerned, orange meant "enter rear" and green meant "enter front." I don't know when that practice was discontinued*. As to the second photo, Route 37 ran from Juniper St. in the trolley subway (at least at one time) via Woodland Ave. and Island Ave., then the present 36 to Eastwick and beyond to Chester, some on private r/w and some street running. The PRR trackage to the left indicates that this was somewhere south of where it crossed over or under the PRR between Eastwick and Essington, where it ran on the Industrial Highway. I don't know where the double track ended.

* Montreal is the only other city I know of that did that, with green indicating enter rear and cream enter front; by the end I believe all cars were cream.
 #1604646  by rcthompson04

The West Chester photo looks like the corner of Gay and High Streets. US 202 used to run through town on High Street to Gay Street to Paoli Pike before the bypass was built, 202 was extended north and the one way patterns were instituted on Gay and Market streets.
 #1604716  by newkirk

ExCon90 wrote:Montreal is the only other city I know of that did that, with green indicating enter rear and cream enter front; by the end I believe all cars were cream.
Is this what you mean ?
Photp: Everette White ca. August 1959

#1604717  by newkirk

rcthompson04 wrote: The West Chester photo looks like the corner of Gay and High Streets. US 202 used to run through town on High Street to Gay Street to Paoli Pike before the bypass was built, 202 was extended north and the one way patterns were instituted on Gay and Market streets.
Thank you for your explanation. Here's another West Chester photo, no date given.
 #1604732  by ExCon90

newkirk wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:26 pm
ExCon90 wrote:Montreal is the only other city I know of that did that, with green indicating enter rear and cream enter front; by the end I believe all cars were cream.
Is this what you mean ?
Photp: Everette White ca. August 1959

Exactly. Looks like the fans are out for the last week or so of operation?

Seeing that photo reminds me that Montreal streetcars had no headlights; at night the dash was illuminated from just above, and that had to suffice.
 #1604735  by ExCon90

As to the 5th photo in your post of Aug. 13, Ron DeGraw's book The Red Arrow contains an all-time roster of passenger, freight, and work cars, and no car 402 is listed. Fwiw.
 #1604741  by newkirk

ExCon90 wrote" As to the 5th photo in your post of Aug. 13, Ron DeGraw's book The Red Arrow contains an all-time roster of passenger, freight, and work cars, and no car 402 is listed. Fwiw.
If you look closely, I see a third rail shoe beam on one truck. Could this be a Philadelphia & Western work car even though I see a trolley pole ?