• B&M ALCO S4 1274

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by amtrakhogger

I would hazard a guess it is a box to house cab signal equipment.
  by bml1149

It also could be for a device called a "Watchman". It was manufactured by Vapor and was a miniature version of the larger models used in the A cabs to keep the engine from freezing during layovers in cold weather.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Benjamin Maggi

Sorry to revisit the old thread, but it was either that or create an identically-named new one.

From what I understand, the B&M painted a select few of its Alco switch engines in the McGinnis "Bluebird" blue/white/black scheme. Not all switch engines received this scheme, and within a couple of years it had been simplified. I have seen pictures of #1274 with the front, white cab wall painted black (perhaps to hide the black exhaust stains?). Atlas even released an HO scale model in 2007. (http://archive.atlasrr.com/Images/HOLoc ... 048_TQ.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Is anyone aware of a picture showing the prototype when new with the three colors? I can find pictures of the black/blue but not of the white cab front.

Thanks.
  by Engineer Spike

This unit was a S3. It was in a roundhouse fire, and sent back to Alco for a rebuild. It was upgraded to a S4, and also shipped in the bluebird scheme, which was what B&M's new locomotives were delivered in then.
  by Benjamin Maggi

Thanks Spike!
  by bmcdr

To set the record straight and recap what everybody has speculated.

(1) 1274 was originally S-3 1174. Burned in a roundhouse fire at Springfield,Mass. and rebuilt to an S-4 by ALCO in 1957.

(2) 1274 was the ONLY B&M switcher painted in the McGinnis blue, black, and white paint scheme.

(3) Yes, the box in front of the cab on the Engineer's side is a Watchman heater.
AS-463.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.