• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by tom18287

did they reuse some of the old bridge piers or did they weather really fast near the water line?
  by Mikejf

All new construction
  by Jonathan603

Yup all new but not a fan of the concrete design. It is going to show the dirt very easily I would imagine. Hopefully they willl clean it once in a while.
  by central.vermont

DO-1 with the 515 shut down sitting on the branch at the switch to High Liner foods with one empty covered hopper from Tyco.

Jon
  by artman

The Boise property now has a great deal of materials stored on it again. Looks like they are moving back to their old stomping grounds, after a couple of years offsite.
  by MECFAN

Artman, I believe this is just incoming material that hasn't been moved over to Ocean Road facility yet. Sometimes they just seem to get backed up moving it.
  by Jonathan603

There is an engine powered up on the spur at Rockingham Junction as of yesterday. Wish I knew when it was going to head down the branch as I am still looking to get some drone footage of it. If anyone has any tips let me know. Scanner is on but I often miss it or misinterpret what is being said!
  by MECFAN

Johnathan, DO-1 came into town today around noon, not sure if they are still in there but saw a Facebook post that they were up in Newington about 2 with 6 cars.
  by Jonathan603

Thanks. Unfortunately I missed it. Am hoping to drone it as it crosses the trestle over great bay. I can’t film it much further past that without approval from ATC. I shall continue to keep an eye and and ear out. Thanks for the info tho. One of these days I will get lucky!
  by Jonathan603

Been listening to the dispatch/trains on the scanner and keep hearing them refer to "Emery". Where is that?
  by newpylong

That is the station in DCS on the Portsmouth Branch, just under Route 1/ west of the yard. The old Hampton Branch (Eastern Division) continued south of there - abandoned a good 15+ years now.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20150 ... 114585.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by bigfreight

Boise Cascade has been using the old yard for storage since they moved to Greenland and will continue to unload and store material there in addition to shuttling stuff to Greenland to be distributed to their customers.
  by Jonathan603

Ah I see. Great picture and thanks for the info.
  by Jonathan603

I thought I would share a picture I took 3 years ago of DO-1 heading down the Portsmouth Branch and a fox sat nonchalantly on the tracks. I believe I was on Great Bay Road or Dearborn Drive, maybe someone can ID the location?

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 330729.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also have some pictures I took in 2012 of the Pan Am Executive Train on the Portsmouth Branch at Rockingham Junction. I will upload those later.
  by Dick H

PAR/330 GP40 left Rockingham today at 1:30PM (8/23) with six loads for Portsmouth.
3 covered hoppers, 1 "Railbox" box car and two lumber loads. No dangerous.