• THAT SPELL CHECK THING AGAIN

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

by MikeF

Read carefully, MetraRy -- JG was suggesting kicking in a dollar or two, not kicking a$$ :wink:

by Otto Vondrak

I dont handle the technology upgrades around here, but I'm fairly certain we're limited to what phpbb provides in their software releases. Learn more: http://www.phpbb.com/

Although we would appreciate any monetary donations... we continue to pay the maintenance for this site out of pocket.

-otto-

by Mike Roque

There is no integrated spell checker in phpBB at this time, and I don't know of any plans to add one. There are third-party spell checkers (SpellingCow seems to be the most popular one), but I haven't found one that is completely free. Writing a spell check applet ourselves would not be a simple task.

Also, as I think someone pointed out, you'll want to be able to add words to your own personal dictionary, so a server-side solution won't help you there. If you have Microsoft Word (or any word processor with a spell checker), you can paste your post into it and run its spell checker.

Although I understand the desire to have a spelling checker, my personal suggestion is to take the time to carefully proofread your posts. Most posts aren't that long. I think you'll find that not only will your spelling errors decline, but the quality of your posts will increase.

by GOLDEN-ARM

I understand what you are saying, Micheal. I "proof" my posts, after I view them, then Make any corrections I happen to catch. Problem is, there are a few folks that probably wouldn't see the errors, if they read it 5 times. I miss stuff, while re-reading my posts, from time to time.If an option become available, I am agreeable to help it's funding, so keep that in mind. I haven't found a way yet, to "proof" my post, and have it changed/corrected automatically. Every way I have tried still requires me to go back, and manually correct, what a spell check has found. Thanks for trying :-D :-D :-D

by MEC407

For all who are interested in having spell-check capability, I discovered today that the latest version of Google Toolbar includes a built-in spell-checker, which will work with any web site you visit.

Google Toolbar is free, and has several other useful features that many of you might appreciate, such as a word translator (convert English to other languages and vice versa), pop-up blocker (which is already built into Mozilla/Firefox and the newest version of Internet Explorer, but this is useful if you're running an older browser version for some reason), and some other nifty features. The spell-checker alone makes it worth the download.

Mozilla/Firefox version: http://toolbar.google.com/firefox/

MS Internet Explorer version: http://toolbar.google.com/index_2

Edit:
I've been searching all over the web trying to find a web browser spell-checker that's freeware (not shareware or demoware) and so far Google Toolbar is the only one I've found. I'm sure there are several good shareware web browser spell-checkers, but I didn't want something that was going to nag me about buying it or sending in a donation, or worse yet, annoy me with advertisements.