• Trolley tracks? Old Broadway, Buffalo

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SST

Yesterday, I headed over to Old Broadway to catch some activity. I got lucky and had two crew changes within just a couple of minutes. One westbound and one eastbound. I normally park along the curb closest to the track so I can keep the signals behind me in view. I did the opposite this time. So, when I finished my pizza slice I walked to the dumpster, chucked the box and began walking along the curb to get a view of the signals. I don't recall ever getting out of my vehicle to walk around. This is why I've never seen any rails starting to show. I came upon a "pot hole" where the original bricks were laid. Then a tiny glint of sunlight. I walk closer and I see this:

by Noel Weaver

SST wrote:Yesterday, I headed over to Old Broadway to catch some activity...
LOCATION please
Noel Weaver
  by sd80mac

Noel Weaver wrote:LOCATION please
Noel Weaver Sent
old broadway right next to Frontier yard at West end. Where several railfans park there to watch crews changing.
  by sd80mac

Never knew about that. Asphalt was still there where rail were. I could see line of cracked asphalt (like the area beyond the rail) and assume that was curb or something for end of pavement (laid stones - Is that cobblestone?).

Interesting to know that....
  by TrainDetainer

According to the 1935 map, it was the #4 line from downtown to Sloan.
  by Ken W2KB

sd80mac wrote:Never knew about that. Asphalt was still there where rail were. I could see line of cracked asphalt (like the area beyond the rail) and assume that was curb or something for end of pavement (laid stones - Is that cobblestone?).

Interesting to know that....
Appears to be not cobblestone, but rather somewhat deteriorated Belgian Block which is quarried and chiseled into squared off blocks. Cobblestone are simply unprocessed stones and are typically rounded and mixed sized, rarely used once cobblestones became widely available in the 1800's.

Cobblestone photo: https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2016/09/0 ... 60_720.jpg
  by sd80mac

Ken W2KB wrote:Appears to be not cobblestone, but rather somewhat deteriorated Belgian Block which is quarried and chiseled into squared off blocks. Cobblestone are simply unprocessed stones and are typically rounded and mixed sized, rarely used once cobblestones became widely available in the 1800's.
Thanks. that what I thought.