• Any cops/ special agents...Police question..

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by dep6969

Many people say you cannot be a police officer if you are color deficient or color blind, however that is not true. I am color blind to a degree, in fact I cannot pass the Ishihara color blind test and I have been a police officer for nearly ten years. The "deficiency has NEVER hindered my ability to do my job. I understand that railroad police/ special agents, being employed by the railroad, are governed by FRA requirements. Could one still become a railroad cop being colorblind or is it completely out of the question? Is there any flexibility ie...field test etc We can see red green, and yellow-amber as it pertains to signals and having the experience of many years proves that it isn't an issue. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
  by Gadfly

It may not be true according to whatever agency controls your hiring, but it may be an issue with regard to the Federal Railway Administration and the company to which you wish to hire. Generally speaking--and I am merely a railroad retiree and no expert, but the railroads will not hire those with color deficiencies as I understand it. And it DOES have a lot to do with signals and rules concerning ALL employees of railroads. I don't think the railroads will make exceptions. If you fail the test, you fail the test. Sorry. :(
  by dep6969

Thanks for the input. Ive done a lot of reading and learned that the issue is not addressed on job postings in requirements and qualifications, however when you look at other postings such as operators, conductors, engineers etc.. color vision is specifically addressed and is a MUST. They also specifically stated what colors are necessary. This leads me to believe that for police, it may not be an automatic disqualifying disorder. In Texas, DPS is the carrying agency as far as commission for Union Pacific Police...and DPS does not disqualify individuals with color deficiency. Any other input is welcomed
  by Gadfly

dep6969 wrote:Thanks for the input. Ive done a lot of reading and learned that the issue is not addressed on job postings in requirements and qualifications, however when you look at other postings such as operators, conductors, engineers etc.. color vision is specifically addressed and is a MUST. They also specifically stated what colors are necessary. This leads me to believe that for police, it may not be an automatic disqualifying disorder. In Texas, DPS is the carrying agency as far as commission for Union Pacific Police...and DPS does not disqualify individuals with color deficiency. Any other input is welcomed
I wish you the best of luck. There were things that were much stricter when I first hired. They wanted "perfect" specimens. No glasses at all. A certain height and weight. No drugs (of course). No back problems. And, of course, perfect color vision. And the physical was a dilly! I thought I was going to the Army the way they checked us over! :P Sent us thru...............like full body Xray. WOW! I was one of the lucky(?) ones. Got hired on the first and only try. And the funny thing was, when I left the interview I was to go over to the hiring officer's office to pick up the forms to go to the physical. Now remember: I've just gone thru a thorough indoctrination---can't do this, can't do THAT, so I was quite impressed with how strict it was. When I walked in the office, what did I see? A clerk at the desk and he musta weighed 475 lbs!!!!!! :( WHAT?????????????????????????? :-D :-D (once you were "in" you were OK so long as you could do the job).

I understand its not as bad as it was in those days. There's been laws and regulations about age and disability restrictions that have been lifted. They used to not hire anybody above the age of 40 or so. But all that's changed now, so maybe in your case as to the color thing, maybe it has changed, too. I dunno!!!

Best,

Gadfly