Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1409013  by Gilbert B Norman

http://www.carnegiehall.org/m/event.aspx?id=15032386828" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Colonel, obviously Mr. Grice's photo establishes there was a two car train at Penn and the above link establishes that the Philadelphia Orchestra performed at Carnegie Hall same date.

But with 100 resident musicians, various support personnel, the maestro, and other hangers on such as those folk that pop $250 kilobucks and more a year and like to hob nob with "the help", I doubt if that train handled all concerned. Orchestras have highway trailers especially fitted with "DF" compartments for each instrument transported separately from the musician.

Having attended eleven concerts this year, seven of which had ensembles "on tour", more than 128 seats are needed to handle the whole "kit and kabudle".
 #1409252  by jhdeasy

Gilbert B Norman wrote:... just observed #4 (16) with FRA Tuscan Red, former CN CARBON Steel Sleeper Lounge on the head (before the V-Bag) of the normal consist.
That car is the former CN 1083 CAPE BRULE, 2 double bedroom 2 compartment lounge, a 1954 product of Pullman.
 #1409286  by Gilbert B Norman

Messrs. Backshop and Deasy, thanks for your immediate history of the FRA.Geometry Car.

In the discussion of the former Metroliner now Geometry car, there was mention this CN car was of Stainless construction. Pullman was very late in the game with Stainless construction, as distinct from sheathing. I defer to Mr. Deasy to report any such cars of which he has knowledge.

Possibly Pullman stainless cars included the "jinxed" order the KCS placed, and which proved to be the final order of intercity cars placed by a Class I. If I properly recall, those cars were being delivered as the KCS was petitioning to get out.
 #1409348  by jhdeasy

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Messrs. Backshop and Deasy, thanks for your immediate history of the FRA.Geometry Car.

In the discussion of the former Metroliner now Geometry car, there was mention this CN car was of Stainless construction. Pullman was very late in the game with Stainless construction, as distinct from sheathing. I defer to Mr. Deasy to report any such cars of which he has knowledge.

Possibly Pullman stainless cars included the "jinxed" order the KCS placed, and which proved to be the final order of intercity cars placed by a Class I. If I properly recall, those cars were being delivered as the KCS was petitioning to get out.
The former CN "CAPE BRULE" was part of CN's large purchase of cars from Pullman in 1954. All of these were alloy steel cars.

As Mr. Norman notes, Pullman did build some cars with greater stainless steel content, "late in the game."

I know the MKT 1202R coach (now the private car J PINCKNEY HENDERSON) was Pullman stainless over stainless construction. When the L&C Railway owned the car, their passenger shop manager attested to that fact.

I'm told the 6-4-6 BEACH series sleepers and STATE series 6 bedroom lounge cars Pullman built at Worcester for New Haven circa 1954-1955 may be stainless over stainless construction.

I wonder about the cars Pullman built for SAL in 1956, the coaches and the three Sun Lounge cars. Mr. Norman has made reference to the coaches Pullman built for KCS circa 1965, some of which later served CNJ, NJ DOT and now have been more or less "remanufactured" for NC DOT.

It comes down to a question of how much stainless steel content was used in the car's construction -- side sheets, end sheets, roof, side sills, end sills, vertical and horizontal structural members??
 #1409393  by Gilbert B Norman

Somehow, I think those with knowledge of carbuilding greater than mine will hold that the Stainless sheathed cars were a "bad idea", for they enabled management to "see no evil, hear no evil".

How else can it be explained how on so many roads with the NYC, RI, SP, et al, end up with their sheathing removed? The NH simply didn't have the $$$ to remove such from their 8600 Coaches, so even if Mechanical knew of an impending problem, Executives choose the "see no evil.." approach and as a result, the fleet was "rust" after less than forty years of service life.

But on the other hand, the ATSF had a sizable fleet.of sheathed cars, including 2900 series Coaches (whoops, Chair Car in Chicoese), 10-6 "Palm--", 4-4-2 "Regal--", et al, where management chose to stay ahead of any potential rust problems. Of course, helping "the cause" greatly was Santa Fe's service area, or how much rust on anything is there in Arizona?
 #1409434  by Tadman

Of course, there is one series of cars that P-S built completely of stainless - our venerable Superliner 1 fleet. I so enjoy travelling on the Superliner fleet. For some reason it feels a lot more welcoming than Viewliner. And I like have the bathroom downstairs rather than in my roomette.
 #1409503  by Tadman

Couplers and draft gear are always carbon as far as I'm aware. What I was implying is that the structural steel of the car was stainless. P-S mostly made cars of carbon structure.
 #1411154  by jhdeasy

NEW YORK CENTRAL 38 is on train 51(04) to Huntington.

WARRIORS REST was supposed to be on 79(04) from WAS to CLT, but apparently bad-ordered at WAS ... to Ivy City for repairs.

Five by five: 5 Viewliners on the head end of train 98(03) ... 1 baggage 3 sleepers and diner INDIANAPOLIS ... 5 private cars on the rear, which will come off at WAS.