• Norfolk Southern Hiring.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by tslo91

Hey Everyone,

I see Norfolk Southern has a lot of positions available online that you can apply for. I'm mainly concerned with the conductor position in Cleveland, OH but my questions can apply to the whole company. If there are any current members of this forum employed as a conductor through Norfolk Southern can you please give me a little insight to the current working situation. Are there a lot of people furloughed across the system and is the company just trying to get a pool of prospective applicants available to fill positions if and when employees don't take the recall to work, or are they actually in need of people to fill those positions? Does your seniority cover the entire system or there separate divisions, for example maybe a northern and Southern seniority division?
  by Hudson2640

I'm not an NS employee but I did attend a conductor hiring session earlier this month (and possibly 2 next month). I can't remember all the details but seniority was by division ( or by terminal, I can't quite remember). As far as furloughs are concerned, there were a few thread from earlier this year that said that there were still a lot of furloughs throughout the system. Given that the economy hasn't improved all that much, there probably still plenty still plenty of people furloughed. Sorry this isn't much help.