• NJ Transit: Assistant Conductor interview questions

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by FlashingAspect

Does anyone remember any of the questions they were asked, or questions you think they will ask in an interview?
  by FlashingAspect

I haven't had the interview yet. I took the test at the beginning of the year. The interview is coming up soon. From what I've heard it is a straight forward interview given by more then one person.
  by jkell1234

Most likely panel with the man who will be making the hiring decision, the recruiter and some other person.

Questions they will most likely ask will be tell me about a time style questions.

For example: Tell me about a time when you witnessed someone doing unsafe, what did you do?

Tell me about a time when you went interacted with a demanding customer.

I would advise to use the STAR method for interviewing.
  by FlashingAspect

I had the interview. It was a very straight foward interview where they asked questions and I answered them.

They were reading them off a sheet nothing really impromptu. I wish I could remember the exact questions but pretty much it was tell us about your current job.

They actually seems to focus more on warning me that a lot of people don't make it and we're upset that they didn't know what they were getting into. I've never had a set schedule and I work every holiday so for me the only real change is I'll be driving further to less predictable destinations.

Also when I got into the waiting room security instructed me to call them and let them know I was there. I thought this was a test because the extention I was given had a voicemail that didn't sound anything like the person I was there to meet, however they came and got me exactly at my scheduled time.
  by jkell1234

Yeah Although I interviewed for Amtrak and not NJT I assumed they would have a similar interview pattern because they are both passenger rail that focus on customer service and safety. Seemed similar with what you described. They read questions off the pages they had in front of them and took turns asking the questions.

You might be right with the phone thing. They want to see how well you listen to instruction, then again it could just let them know you arrived. My recruiter did the same with me had me text when I arrived. Good luck and let us know either way if you get the job or not.
  by FlashingAspect

Still no job offer. I'm not in a rush. Normally when I interview for a job when they ask me if I have any questions at the end I always say when can I start?

But in this case they already said a class had not been scheduled. So I asked questions about the way I answered their questions to see if any of my responses weren't good.

Their response seemed to indicate that there is a structured way they discuss a candidate's answers after leaving the room. So I don't think they can offer the job during the interview. They have 3 different scores for you and they discuss it after you leave and anything can happen from there. They might not even offer jobs until they schedule the class. Or I suppose I may have did poorly but it was such straight foward questions that I don't think anyone that is capable of passing that test could fail the interview.