• 40th anniversary of last day of Lehigh Valley RR

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by dj_paige

March 31 1976 to March 31, 2016 (today)

Any memories of that last day?
  by TB Diamond

You bet.

The absolute dreary weather on 31 March 1976 was appropriate for the occasion.
  by kilroy

Nice photos.

I always wondered if they picked 04/01 for Conrail day as they thought it would turn out to be just a bigger Penn Central fiasco.
  by johnpbarlow

CPSmith wrote:I'm still editing photos, but here's a head start:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/archivethu ... ?id=115216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Terrific photos! Brings back a lot of fond memories!

Re: the pictures of the manifest departing westward from Manchester Yard, I'm guessing the string of empty 2-bay B&O/C&O hoppers behind the locomotives came from the then Milliken power plant on Cayuga Lake and will be dropped a few miles further west at P&L Junction at Caledonia for interchange with the B&O. Shortly before C-day I recall seeing cuts of these hoppers at Caledonia (a very interesting place with 5 active RRs up until April 1, 1976: EL, PC, B&O, LV, and G&W).

Keep 'em coming!