• Suffolk Downs Spur

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Gerry6309

The B&M once had a spur into Suffolk Downs, running off the Eastern Division's East Boston Branch, and ending near the clubhouse, opposite the Elevated's trolley loop. Does anyone know when this was abandoned?
  by The EGE

Karr says this special service ran between 1935 and 1950 (minus a few WWII years) so I would suspect the spur was abandoned soon after that.
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

Karr doesn't give a specific date for this spur, but he does mention B&M passenger specials run over the East Boston Branch before and after WW II, like this Don Robinson photo from the B&MRRHS:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bmrrhs/15553345391/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This suggests abandonment in the period between the end of the war in 1945 and the building of the Blue Line station in 1952.

PBM
  by jbvb

The roadbed curving away from the Eastern wasn't too overgrown when I first noticed it in the 1960s.

The photo gives the best view I've seen of the roofs of the 1200 series O-B commuter coaches.
  by 130MM

The valuation plan shows the track was shortened February 4, 1953 (it is unclear as to whether this date refers to date of work, or the date the plan was modified), and removed May 3, 1957. It also says the "Passenger Platform Track" was added May 1941.

The drawing itself also shows a "Horse Platform".