• PC/CR between Pittsford and Canandaigua

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nydepot

When was the last train through the Powder Mills Park area? I'm finding some mixed dates on abandonment, either 1976 or early 80s? What was the common road power in the final months on the old Auburn line? Thanks.

Charles
  by BR&P

Between Victor and Pittsford, the line was abandoned about 1960 give or take. I believe the exact abandonment date was answered in here many years ago but I'm not sure if it was this incarnation of the forum or a previous one. Power at that time would likely have been RS1's or RS2/RS3's.

The Victor-Canandaigua segment was abandoned in 1978 or 1979, and was removed in late 1979.
  by BR&P

That was served out of Geneva, and used whatever power they had for locals there. Mostly RS-11's (7600 series) and RS-32's (2025 series) during that time frame. Also at times likely could have had a 9950-series "Dewitt Geep".
  by TB Diamond

New York Central Auburn branch,Victor-Pittsford, 10.44 miles, approved for abandonment 15 May 1960.

Auburn branch, Canandaigua-Victor, 8.5 miles, approved for abandonment 01 November 1978.

Power utilized on the branch during the Penn Central era also included,on occasion, EMD GP38 units.
  by Otto Vondrak

And just for review, the Pittsford Industrial Tracl was abandoned and torn up to Brighton in 1981, right? Who were the last customers in Pittsford to warrant keeping the line open so long?
  by BR&P

The last 3 customers toward Pittsford IIRC were T.J. Zornow in Pittsford, and a couple liquor distributors near Pittsford Plaza - without double checking, I think it was Rochester Liquor and Eber Brothers. I also believe a short stub remained a bit longer just beyond the Can Of Worms to serve Domine Builders Supply.

The last rail traffic was about 10 or 12 former Amtrak passenger cars which were moved to Pittsford in 1982 or 1983. They were bought by a developer who intended to make various shops and offices out of them. Conrail set the cars just past Domine, and a rented Trackmobile took the cars to Pittsford in two trips. Motorists and residents were amazed to hear a tinny-sounding horn and see a roaring little machine dragging what appeared to be a passenger train merrily along the long-dormant track! :-D

The developer had bought the cars before obtaining final zoning approval. There were enough snobbish noses out of joint that the project was defeated and most of the cars were soon scrapped. A couple were sold to the Depot Restaurant and survived another 20 years.
  by Benjamin Maggi

BR&P wrote:The last rail traffic was about 10 or 12 former Amtrak passenger cars which were moved to Pittsford in 1982 or 1983. They were bought by a developer who intended to make various shops and offices out of them. Conrail set the cars just past Domine, and a rented Trackmobile took the cars to Pittsford in two trips. Motorists and residents were amazed to hear a tinny-sounding horn and see a roaring little machine dragging what appeared to be a passenger train merrily along the long-dormant track! :-D

The developer had bought the cars before obtaining final zoning approval. There were enough snobbish noses out of joint that the project was defeated and most of the cars were soon scrapped. A couple were sold to the Depot Restaurant and survived another 20 years.
Anyone have more information about that? I have never heard this story before but it sounds interesting! Pictures?
  by BR&P

I'm not aware of any pictures, but it's possible there are a few. I THINK but am not positive, the project made a story in the D&C - the cars sat around a while while the legal BS played out, but after the decision was made they were cut up fairly quickly. Can't recall whether ONE car was trucked out intact or not.
  by lvrr325

Was it one of those cars I saw in a scrapyard along Route 21 below Palmyra? Seems like it was cut in half and the halves sat side by side. This would have been a good 20 years ago.
  by BR&P

Yes, the 2 half a cars at the Rt 21 scrap yard was one of the cars from Pittsford.

I can't remember whether someone bought a whole car. At one time, there was a GTW caboose at The Depot Restaurant (as well as a wooden B&O bay window caboose). That GTW caboose was sold and was moved to the old canning plant siding in Phelps near Eagle Street. Trying to remember whether a passenger car went there as well, or not. As you say, that was a long time ago, more like 30 years, and at any rate whatever equipment WAS on that track at Phelps was moved out long ago. (Anybody know where the GTW caboose wound up?)
  by Benjamin Maggi

Does anyone know where the old The Depot Restaurant was? I searched online but found no reference to the one in Pittsford. Thanks.
  by BR&P

No, the caboose in lvrr325's photo is a former Shawmut caboose. When it very first showed up I was able to get a number from it but have forgotten what it was by now. The B&O caboose was C2371, a wooden bay window caboose made from a boxcar during WWII. It arrived here in February 1969 and remained at the restaurant for many years. When they finally re-vamped the area it was offered free for the taking, and some guys from Ohio trucked it out.

The Depot Restaurant was in the old Pittsford depot, north side of the Auburn Road just west of Main Street.
  by s4ny

Yes, the Depot Restaurant was just north of the canal on the west side of Main Street Pittsford.

I recall that restaurant was parallel to and just south of where the tracks would have been.

The food was good.