• Gauges requested to rebuild MEC 470

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by RGlueck

Most of you know, Maine Central 470's cab and backhead has been stripped clean of gauges and other parts, over the past 60 years. We are requesting that anyone with gauges or cab parts, either from 470 or a similar steam locomotive, consider contacting us. If you have a part which you are willing to donate, please PM me, or email [email protected] and include wither a photo or description of the item. We will not take unnecessary parts from you collection just to augment ours.

In addition, New England Steam Corporation has the need for drawings of a Crosby 8" three chime bronze whistle. This is for Maine Central 470 restoration. Can anyone share a copy. No, we are not selling whistles, this is for a single full-scale operative whistle.

Please PM me or email: [email protected]

Dick
  by Cosmo

Dick,
for help with the whistle, contact the guys at the WW&FRR via their forum. They have many resources and a vast network and have recently been making castings for their #9 and future #11. I'm sure someone there knows someone who knows where to look. :wink:
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

Exact details are fuzzy in what's left of my mind, but I believe that the White Mountain Central tourist railroad owns such a whistle, and doesn't use it 100% of the time.

PBM
  by RGlueck

Thanks, all. I am pursuing a number of routes. The material is out there, either hanging on the wall of Grandpa's workshop, or on the garage floor. People have it, collected it, and don't use or want it. Still, gauges can be rebuilt and put to good use as we progress. We are on the trail of having whistle cast and machined, but I'd sure love an original as a donation.
  by bmcdr

guage b.jpg
Dick,
I have this air brake guage, don't know if it was steam or early diesel, it was sitting on a shelf in the stores department at the old Boston roundhouse (B.E.T.) just before they tore the place down. I have attatched a photo, it appears to be solid brass or bronze, if it can be of any use to you, I'll donate to you and ship it up to you free of charge.
  by RGlueck

Dave: I am uncertain of that specific gauge will meet 470's requirements, but we will absolutely store it safely for possible return to service. Nothing is wasted or "lost" in the process of gathering parts. You can mail it to:

New England Steam Corporation
Post Office Box 302
Winterport, Maine 04496

Thank you for your donation and participation!

Dick Glueck
  by RGlueck

Dave, gauge received and "thank you" note on the way! I want to be certain your generous gift is acknowledged, and I hope others will follow in suit.

Dick