• Question about Norfolk Southern Fireman & Oiler

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by chris229

Hi everybody, so I found this job listed on the Norfolk Southern website for Fireman & Oiler and read what they had listed there and had a question or two if someone can give me some insight on it. What exactly is it this position does, because I'm trying to figure if they're looking for you to have previous experience in any area and if I have it? I noticed it had listed on there operating a forklift and was wondering if anyone knows if they will teach you to operate a forklift, because I've never had a job where I needed to operate a forklift and so therefore I don't know how? Is there anything else to this job that they didn't include in the description, because the description is really vague? It's not really a big deal to me to drive to McDonough, GA, because I live near about 30 minutes from Valdosta, GA, just a little north of Tallahassee, FL, and could get there in a few hours. If you're interested in seeing the description to get an idea of what I'm asking about I'm putting a link below and I realize it's in North Carolina and I'm prepared to move. I'm single, no kids, work as a Corrections Officer working 12 hour shifts and making less than what it starts at and won't be making in 2-3 years what it advertises what the full scale pay is after 2 years. Any advice and answers on this is appreciated. Thank you for your time. https://careers.nscorp.com/sap/bc/webdy ... sibility=X#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;