• UPDATED CSX FREIGHT CONDUCTOR HIRING PROCESS

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Philly117

gobucks90 wrote:Hey, any pointers for the strength test? Are they checking to see if you have bad knees and shoulders or is it truly a strength test? I've watched the video and it doesn't look too bad. I'm young but skinny and i'm probably worrying about this test more than I should be.
I had a good week of worrying that I bombed my strength test. I may be in the same boat as you. I'm 29, 6' 2" and 165lbs AKA tall and skinny. It seems its more of a strength to BMI or strength to weight ratio for your knees and shoulders. All that aside, like everybody else says, I gave it all I had and passed it.
  by Miz860

Well guys and gals, it's official, I am a member of the CSX training family hahaha. I have a REDI date of Feb 16, 2015. Thank you for all the support.....

Dec 24, 2014 - applied for conductor position out of Philadelphia
Dec 30, 2014 - recieved email that I have been invited to a hiring session for the above position.
Jan 6, 2015 - I arrived at the session 2 hours early and was the first person interviewed
Jan 8, 2015 - Received conditional offer of employment
Jan 16, 2015 - Drove to Baltimore, MD for my physical capabilities test (man what a challenge) also had my physical done there
Jan 21, 2015- Passed background
Jan 27, 2015 - Passed all medical...... OFFERED OFFICIAL JOB WITH CSX
  by Philly117

Miz860 wrote:Well guys and gals, it's official, I am a member of the CSX training family hahaha. I have a REDI date of Feb 16, 2015. Thank you for all the support.....

Dec 24, 2014 - applied for conductor position out of Philadelphia
Dec 30, 2014 - recieved email that I have been invited to a hiring session for the above position.
Jan 6, 2015 - I arrived at the session 2 hours early and was the first person interviewed
Jan 8, 2015 - Received conditional offer of employment
Jan 16, 2015 - Drove to Baltimore, MD for my physical capabilities test (man what a challenge) also had my physical done there
Jan 21, 2015- Passed background
Jan 27, 2015 - Passed all medical...... OFFERED OFFICIAL JOB WITH CSX
Congrats! Hopefully I'm right behind you today!
  by Miz860

This process was much smoother then I thought it would be. If any of you have been following me for the 2.5 years I have been on these forums, you know that my luck has not been so good with the railroad. I applied to Norfolk Southern for a Freight Conductor position in Philadelphia 3 different times and was denied for 3 separate reasons. I apply to CSX once and a month later I have a hired status on their website. I am excited and I also have butterflies. My background is military, and Law Enforcement, I always wanted to drive trains. I have a loving wife and 3 kids that have been with me through my ups and downs, been there while I was in Iraq, so I know my support system is strong. Growing up in Philadelphia and seeing septa engineers my whole life is what put the original bug in my soul but I honestly don't think I could deal with the people aspect of being a conductor here in Philadelphia. It's not so much the job but the people. Unfortunately most of the people here in this city are very rude and obnoxious. I just don't think it is worth it working for SEPTA at least until you become a engineer. My goal is to ultimately be promoted to locomotive engineer and who knows what opportunities that might bring. I know that the promotion itself is based on seniority and the need for engineer but I am hoping I can move up to that fast. If not I am willing to wait (like I have a choice :-D) Anyway if there is anything that anyone would like to say, or if anyone has any questions concerning the hiring process, I would be happy to help you out. Any veterans of the railroad have any advice that is gladly welcomed also. I am thinking about starting another thread about my time at REDI, just to try and help out as much as I can. I know that the training was something I was really looking for on these forums but couldn't really find anything that was up to date. Well I think I have typed too much now so again any tips on what I should bring to REDI that is not on the list or any tips at all that will be greatly appreciated.