• Help with BNSF application process?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by GrandGizzard

I graduated from high school last year. I am very interested in working for BNSF Railway. I made an account on their website a few months ago, and I applied for several positions as "Conductor Trainee" I had to take "assessment thing where they ask you a bunch of questions and you are timed to answer each question. I must have passed, because I got an email from the BNSF Staffing Team informing me that my application(s) were sent. However, several of those positions that I applied for, I got emails saying that I was not selected to continue the application process. I don't have any job experience, so I had to try and make a resume based off of what I did have. I also made a cover letter. Anyways, I've continued to apply for the same position but in different states. I also applied for this internship program in Fort Worth, Texas, but I haven't heard back, yet. Two weeks ago, I wrote a letter to the CEO of BNSF Railway and I sent it off. I figured that maybe doing that would make me stand out and it would help increase my chances at getting somewhere with them. However, I have not heard anything back from him, either.

Am I doing anything wrong? Should I keep applying and doing what I'm doing? Or should I try a different approach? What should I do?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! :-D
  by jz441

It's not easy to get hired with railroads, especially when you have no work experience. It takes perseverance,and most importantly railroads want a reflection of your work habits.
And for a future reference, don't write letters to CEO's. They have far more important issues to deal with than getting you a hired.
  by GE45tonner

Find a volunteer railroad to work on or tourist railroad to work part time. Use that for experience. If you are willing to move around the country it's very easy to get a conductors job. Lot's of places are desperate for people to work.
  by supernova1972

Fresh out of high school with no work experience, nowadays knowing someone high up would be about your only chance. Get a job working long hours where you have to be safe and keep applying. Out the nearly 100 conductors hired at my terminal this year only 1 that I know of was under 21 and his neighbor was a manager and helped him get on.