• Manchester - Milford Railroad 1900-1927

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Giz

What type(s) of locomotives were used on the Manchester - Milford Railroad that operated in New Hampshire from 1900 - 1927? I'm doing some research on this short lived line. Thanks!
  by jbvb

It was finished & operated by the Boston & Maine, and was abandoned early due to light traffic. So, the normal locomotives were probably smaller & older 4-4-0 types from the B&M's roster. These had been built for B&M predecessors and came from every builder in New England and some elsewhere in the Northeast. 2-6-0s and 4-6-0s might have been used on occasion, if the line's bridges allowed them. I don't have an employee's timetable old enough to list that line, but if you can find one, it should list which engines were allowed.
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

One of the B&MRRHS calendars of the last few years included a pix of a 2-6-0 on a station along this branch, IIRC Baboosic Lake.

PBM
  by trainsinmaine

I'd have to look at R.D. Karr's book on the Railroads of Northern New England, but I believe that in providing the history of this line he said that in its last 19 years of the branch's existence, the B&M hauled exactly 19 boxcars of freight on it. The B&M was saddled with it when it took over the Fitchburg, and neither wanted nor needed it, but whenever abandonment was talked about, there were some local shippers who protested. It died a long, protracted death.

I used to think the ROW was hard to find, but the latest USGS topo maps of the area reveal that there is actually quite a bit of the line that can be traced. However, the northern end, into Goffstown, kind of disappears into the 'burbs. I have no idea where it once lay as it approached Manchester. Old topo maps aren't of any help.
  by b&m 1566

Much of the ROW is now 114 at the northern most section. If you follow 114 between the intersection of 114A and 101 you will see part of the old ROW on the west side of 114. Just after the intersection of 114 and 114A the rail line turned sharply to the east and joined into the Goffstown Branch just east of Danis Park Rd. The residential neighborhood (Morgan Ct) obliterated the ROW. Use historicarial.com to help located it. The B&M built that line in fear that the Fitchburg Railroad was going to build a line to Manchester after reaching Milford in 1890.