• "the cut" East Tilton NH

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Manalishi

Hi All-
I just picked up a postcard yesterday - "the cut" East Tilton NH. Anyone know exactly where this is? Looks like the photographer had to stand on a bridge to take the photo of said cut. Is it on the old Franklin and Tilton branch or the current branch (old B,C&M) that goes to Lincoln?

Chris
  by jaymac

Check the upper right of the UNH topo ( http://docs.unh.edu/NH/pena27ne.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) where Winnisquam empties. It's probable that the cut was on the main and not the branch.
  by Manalishi

Thanks jaymac. I'm thinking it's here in the red circle. Makes sense as that's where the contour lines rise sharply and the line goes right between 2 hills- which, I'm guessing, is the "cut". Also, a road passes nearby which is where I think the photographer took the photo that became the postcard I acquired. Thanks! Looks like a road trip is in order as the line is still there.

Chris
  by jaymac

Chris-
If you go to River Road, Tilton, NH on Google earth or the equivalent, you'll get to see it in aerial view. If you have a camera, it might be good to post the postcard and current matching views for a century-or-so-apart comparison.
Thanks!
  by theseaandalifesaver

A bunch of bridges along what's left of this ROW still exist. There's a really nice one still in Franklin, NH.