• going from CSX to Norfolk Southern

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by bobclark273408

So I worked as a conductor for CSX and had my application rejected for supposedly trying to step in front of an RCO job. Well I absolutely loved working as a conductor and want to know if I would even have a shot at getting on with Norfolk Southern or any other class 1 railroad. Also for those who have apiece to Norfolk Southern how long did it take hear back from them on when to interview?
  by COEN77

That's a question that's been ask before. No one is sure. Better chance at getting hired on a class II shortline railroad.
  by NorthPennLimited

I'm sure CSX didn't terminate your employment for a single rule violation. And if they did you have a great wrongful termination suit. Typically railroads show progressive discipline was issued as a tool to correct negative behavior or poor work habits.

Anywho-

Class 1's are getting more and more safety crazy as the lawyers and risk management departments take over operations.

If you want a second chance, as stated above, try a class 2. If you need benefits, try Amtrak or a commuter railroad. Since they are federally funded, they have to comply with phone book-sized rules on Equal Opportunity Employment laws. The deepest they can dig into your past employment is to check to see if you had any FRA decertification violations, DUI convictions, or Rule G violations.